Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR500 routers and IPTV with lagging picture (Telekom) - reposted

BR500 routers and IPTV with lagging picture (Telekom) - reposted

I used to run a speedport Smart Router with Telekom Media Recivers (1x 401, 3x 201), not many specific options around but working fine.

Now using the Speedport as DSL Modem -> BR500 -> GS728 -> Clients

All Insight managed, all firmware up to date, TV picture freezes after 5-10 sec, even if just running one MR401.

Activated IGMP Snooping for the router and for VLAN1 (in use for all clients) on the GS728 - result: still lagging TV picture

Trying to solve:

1. Separate Media receiver clients into VLAN 4089 which is proposed for video - Media Receiver don't get IP adress anymore even though DHCP in LAN2/Port 2 is enabled on BR500

Hotine tells: IPTV and VLANs not possible on BR500 at the same time

IPTV VLAN 7 is needed to receive Internet from Telekom

2. Turn MR ports back to VLAN1 and try to set further multicast options on GS728 - no options available in Insight, just turn on/off

Hotline tells: take the GS728 away from Insight and manage locally

Further they have no clue what to do with Telekom Multicast in my ticket, but I've seen some descritions with similar issues here in the community.

Ok, turned to local web interface and try&error with hotline through the Multicast settings. Up to now this a very poor result.

Will try to add some screen attachments here.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 11

BR500 SettingsBR500_2.JPGBR500_1.JPGBR500_2.JPGBR500_3.JPG

Message 2 of 11

GS728 Settings

GS728_1.JPGGS728_2.JPG

GS728_3.JPG

Not sure if dedicated ports need to be activated for snooping or multicast routing

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

What might work is a config like this https://kb.netgear.com/000059623/How-do-I-configure-my-Nighthawk-router-to-support-Deutsche-Telekom-... - you map the IPTV VLAN to a single port - at the cost that you can't configure VLANs on the LAN side.

This port can be connected direct to the IPTV boxe(s) or to a dedicated VLAN on the switch.

Lot of trial and error I'm afraid - as the BR500 is ways off from being business ready.

Message 4 of 11

I've tried several times according to that description already, see my port 4. Created a LAN with DHCP on this port and pluged the Mediea Receiver directly but doesn't retreive an IP adress. 

The community is full of Multicast stories on other Netgear routers, so Netgear should be aware of those issues and wondering if experts can give a direction where to look at. Hotline hasn't been able to solve since 4 weeks.

Having activated snooping on GS728 (see screenshots) has technically improved a little. Instead of freezing after 5 sec, TV remains sometimes for a minute with hickups or no tone when runing just one MR. But that is still far from being solved.

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The config example does create a plain Ethernet bridge from the WAN side IPTV VLAN to the Port 4. Because of the BR500 does (still) not allow to configure multiple WAN interfaces, where the IPTV one should be NATed many2one to a dedicated LAN-VLAN and subnet for example - so you would have two VLAN on the LAN side: One for Internet, one for IPTV; both with many2one NAT, DHCP for the LAN, and an IGMP muticast proxy for the IPTV VLAN. IMHO the LAN config on port 4 with DHCP et all might be not workable - one of many limitations of the BR500.

Look, I've ordered at least three times BR500, but resold or returned them after finding the many restrictions and/or no progress in the firmware specs and implementation. I would love to help, but here I can't. Netgear has refused (or say at least ignoed) my offering to assist them for aking the BR500 a real small business router.

Here some examples on what/how we're configuring IPTV on non-ISP prvided routers somewhere south of the Weisswurstäquator https://www.studerus.ch/de/support/download/60364_1 - the Netgear swiches are perfectly fine (Smart Managed Plus has an IGMP Multicast for one VLAN, Smart Managed Pro for multiple VLAN).

Grüsse nach Deutschland!

-Kurt

Message 6 of 11

Thanks. I've been through the Zyxel step by step docu, pretty much the same that I activated on my GS728.

Picture is not freezing after 5 sec any more, sometimes runs a minutes, next time 10 sec. 

My four WAC505 antenas are one of the 1st entries in the multicast table. Could be that they are heavily trying to distribute the multicast packages.... But haven't seen any Multicast settings that can be configured within Insight.

Really wondering if no-one from the Netgear experts or moderators can answer on this BR500 issue. According to schumaku and my own experience we can write on Amazon feedback: if someone wanna watch TV, better don't buy a BR500. No solution yet.

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@ThomasNanninga wrote:

My four WAC505 antenas are one of the 1st entries in the multicast table. Could be that they are heavily trying to distribute the multicast packages.... But haven't seen any Multicast settings that can be configured within Insight.

Open the WAC5xx Web UI, confirm the AP is in Insight management mode, Configuration -> System -> Advanced ... IGMP Snooping.

Note: By default, this is disabled as per the online help - in case heavy IGMP multicast traffic would hit the WAC5xx, the effects to the wireless radios and all wireless clients would be almost fatal.

===

IGMP Snooping

Enable IGMP Snooping to allow IP multicast packets to be transmitted only to the members of the corresponding multicast group. This prevents flooding of multicast traffic to all the ports in a broadcast domain. By default IGMP Snooping is Disabled.
===
Message 8 of 11

That option is new in the lastest firmware and, yes, WebGui managable.

I enabled IMGP Snooping on all WAC505s but seems no impact on TV.

Will observe the next days.

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Yes, this would only protect the other clients or other radios from Multicast streams - it has no impact on the router or switch part.

Message 10 of 11

After struggling around for month we ended up using the Speedport Smart again in an 192.168.1.X. segement for the Media Receivers and the BR500 behind it in an 192.168.2.X segement with all other clients connected. That gave me the chance to get rid of the IPTV and free the VLAN functionality instead for guest VLAN. 
Well.... not my initial expectation but what can I say. This is now steadily working since a while and I don't have to hide any more from upset TV viewers. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements