Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best choice for a router

X99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Best choice for a router

Hi everyone.

I work for a small company. Our building has 3 floors, and an optic-fiber has been set up on second floor. The router onto which the fiber is connected is no manageable by us, all we have is:

- a LAN port with a DHCP, like a standard internet router. You plug something in, it gives you an IP like 192.168.0.X. Let's call it GE3

- another one that has a public IP. Full throttle, no filtering/firewall whatsoever. Let's call it GE4

We'd definitely like to use GE4 and setup our own firewall rules, ports redirections and so on.

My boss asked me to deliver cabled network to all 3 floors. Cat7 cable will be delivered to all 3 floors and, I guess, connected to simple 16 ports gigabit switches.

But my very first question is: what should I plug to GE4? I mean, I want a router with 1 ETH input and, let's say, 4 to 8 ETH ouput (1 for each floor and some spare), all gigabit. But it must include a firewall. I browsed the entire NETGEAR website, and I must admit that I'm a bit lost, as I'm not AT ALL a network expert.

Could some of you point me to specific models? give me advices?

Thanks a lot 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@X99,

Welcome to the community ! 🙂 

If you are really sure that the GE4 port of the existing router gives a Public WAN IP Address and you want to connect your own firewall router to it, I suggest you the BR500 firewall router.  The BR500 has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports.  For more information, kindly access its data sheet below:

BR500 Data Sheet

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@X99,

Welcome to the community ! 🙂 

If you are really sure that the GE4 port of the existing router gives a Public WAN IP Address and you want to connect your own firewall router to it, I suggest you the BR500 firewall router.  The BR500 has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports.  For more information, kindly access its data sheet below:

BR500 Data Sheet

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 2 of 3
X99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, and thanks a lot for your answer. We indeed followed your recommendation, and it works just perfectly!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements