Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Building a LAG with FVS336Gv2 & GS110T

schuhi_69
Aspirant

Building a LAG with FVS336Gv2 & GS110T

Hello Forum members,

I´m using a Netgear FVS336Gv2 firewall and a GS110T switch.

2 modems are connected to the WAN Ports (FVS336Gv2)
Port 3 & 4 are free and not in use
but at the LAN ports 1 & 2 I want to connect two LAN cables CAT.6 with the length of 30 cm to the LAN Ports 1 & 2 from the GS110T and building a LAG (link aggregated group) for more throughput (speed)

I was connecting to the FVS336Gv2 at lan ports 1 & 2 the cables and at the switch GS110T one cable at port 1. I was adding the both ports to the LAG1 which I was building and renamed it "WAN" (at the switch), I was choosing
static LAG but even I want to stitch in the second cable at lan port 2 (in the switch) I get a broadcast storm and the whole switch is not working and all ports are flapping.

I was building two VLANs one with a linux laptopp and a printer and another one with a single windows machine, even all connected with one cable.

The VLANs are working fine like the rest of the setup but only with one cable
connected to the switch from the FVS336Gv2

So perhaps I have overseen something or was not thinking right at one corner
or what ever else.

With the same switch type (GS110T) I was setting up LAG´s between switches (GS110T - GS110TP & GS110T - GS108T) without any trouble.

Even so I was setting up a LAG between a GS110T switch to a 4 Port based windows server without any troubles.

I want to high up only the throughput with this two cables and no fall back line like the STP is offering.

I was thinking with the 2 cables I get a 2 GB aggregated line for better throughput.

So if any body knows to help me out or can led me to a solution I´ll be
very surprised and glad about.

Thanks for reading and helping.

Schuhi
Message 1 of 6
adit
Mentor

Re: Building a LAG with FVS336Gv2 & GS110T

The router does not support LAG. How fast are your WAN connections?
Message 2 of 6
schuhi_69
Aspirant

Hello adit,

thanks for the reply and the help, I was thinking first that I was only pure
over seen a point, but know I see it will not working.

The WAN connections are VDSL 50 (50 MBit/s down + 10 MBit/s up) at each line.

The both WAN connections are not overflow the 1 GB LAN port at all,
but I was creating a LAG between the GS110T and a GS110TP with both SFP
ports and the throughput was amazing !!!!
In another case I was building a LAG between two GS108T switches and
also like the case above it was giving a good push to the line.

So I was thinking it´ll be a good idea to setup a LAG between the switch and the router to speeding up the entire speed.

At my first try outs I was playing around with the spanning tree protocol,
but after rebooting the switch, absolutely nothing was able to connect to the Internet.

Next month I get a FVS318N and will give this one a try out, perhaps I find a solution to finish this wish by building vlans on both sides (FVS318N + GS110T) and I will try out to put the LAG in a vlan on the switch side.

Or at best perhaps you know a Firewall that is able to fits my wishes and needs? If so please tell me adit.
Message 3 of 6
adit
Mentor

You want your router to focus on routing and not LAN switching. You can link your switches together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4y0jQTYWas http://kb.netgear.com/ci/fattach/get/82/1261408476/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzQ0ODMxMzU3L3... The Netgear ProSecure line of router firmwares are undergoing a major rewrite. We'll probably know within the next few weeks if the feature has been added. The question hasn't come up so I don't know if it will. I'm not aware of any sub $1000 routers that do support LAG/LACP.
Message 4 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

LAG/LACP will be nice feature for sure... I could use one on my NAS 🙂
Message 5 of 6
schuhi_69
Aspirant

Hello again,

yes well your are right adit, the LAG support is a switch related feature and firewalls who are offering this are something around 2500 - 7000 €, I was asking dr. google and in normal cases LAG will be used for Switch to Switch
or Switch to Server communication. But after setting up some of them (LAG´s) I could not resist to try it out between the switch and the router. 😉
I also don´t wan to be miss interpreted, with the switch alone the whole network throughput was pushed up hard and with the second switch and the fiber lag it was really to feel how much faster the whole network was doing the job now!! I was very impressed by this power and in normal times under 5% more throughput you will not be able to see and feel it more than to measure it and the acting of the whole network gaining up very hard.

@June
Hi surely it will be a good thing to have those LAG support for the NAS family,
it is a little other thing than the offered load balancing or the failover feature,
something more in the middle of both, related to the kind for what the NAS will be used.

I personally at this time I am using mostly Netgear products and in some rarely cases MikroTik and D-Link products for the network oriented stuff, but for the NAS section I really prefer to use the QNAP ones, so I am able to add
really fast over QPKG packets some features like LDAP, Radius and other services easy and rapid. And they are accepting some usb wlan stick with driver support so I am able to attach or connect via wlan the NAS.

But for sure I was also playing around with a Netgear one, it is not the price
more then the power, a real intel dual core with 2 GB of ram is even a little bit using more electric power, but if you want to start encryption with AES you will trust me that the performance is also a little bit better than the atom based NAS boxes.

However I´ll see next month the FVS318N is their that I can try out building multiple VLAN´s to gain the throughput 😉 a little bit perhaps.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements