Can I upgrade SRX5308 firmware from 3.06 to 4.21

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can I upgrade SRX5308 firmware from 3.06 to 4.21

Hi @sc2018,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Yes, you can.  Be reminded that the configuration file saved when using firmware v3.06 will not be applicable when you want to restore it after upgrading the firmware to v4.21 or higher.  You will need to reconfigure the settings from scratch.

It would be best that you to upgrade the firmware to the latest version which is 4.3.5-3.  You can download it here.  Be sure to perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
sc2018
Aspirant

What I mean is I need to get the business back up, so i have a goodd cfg on the 3.06 I just want to apply the latest firmware with my current settings. I can reset at annother date and reconfigure then. Make sense?

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@sc2018,

Upgrading the firmware from v3.x.x (like v3.06) to v4.x.x (like v4.21 or v4.3.5-3) requires a factory reset.  

I suggest you to upgrade the firmware during non-production hours (like during weekends or holidays) so that you will be able to factory reset the SRX5308 right after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure the settings from scratch. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@sc2018,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to upgrade the firmware of the SRX5308 to the latest v4.3.5-3 then perform a factory reset and configure the settings from scratch?

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
sc2018
Aspirant

I plan to do this over the next 2 days. I still do not see why I cannot just upgrade the firmware and move on. The factory reset seems like a waste.

Message 6 of 7
johngm
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sc2018,

Typically these "laddered" upgrades include some update to the resident firmware of the device.   The process of returning it to a factory reset is to clean up the boot image.   Unfortunately taking these out of order has a high probability of creating a misalignment between the operating code in firmware and the boot image.

I don't know if a brick is possible, but you may need to back up and start from the reboot process if the latter updates don't take.  

John

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements