Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't restore settings from backup config in FVS336Gv2 after firmware upgrade to 4.3.2-7

ajrdiaz
Aspirant

Can't restore settings from backup config in FVS336Gv2 after firmware upgrade to 4.3.2-7

Hello,

After power cycling the firewall the entire network was down and we couldn't reach the firewall from any computer to the original IP address.  After several attemps to recover conection, we decided to defaulted because we had a backup of the configuration file.  After defaulting the firewall, we couldn't load the backup of the configuration file, we kept getting the error "Failed to update configuration (checksum error)".  After reasearching the issue for a while we tried to recalculate the checksum, and "0" it, without success.  Is there a workaround or a fix that we could possible apply? Reconfiguring all the settings on our firewall could take several man hours.

Thanks.

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 1 of 7
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Re: Can't restore settings from backup config in FVS336Gv2 after firmware upgrade to 4.3.2-7

Do you remember what firmware version was running on the router when you created the configuration backup?  If it was generated on 3.x.x-x firmware I'm afraid it can't be restored on the 4.x.x.x-x firmware.

Message 2 of 7
ajrdiaz
Aspirant

Re: Can't restore settings from backup config in FVS336Gv2 after firmware upgrade to 4.3.2-7

Yes, it was a 3.x.x-x, but I can't remember which one.  Shoul I downgrade to whatever 3.x.x-x?

Message 3 of 7
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

I can't remember if the FVS336Gv2 actually lets you downgrade or not. Anyways, if it is very urgent to get this up and running, then sure go ahead and try it. But eventually you should probably look in to upgrading past 4.x.x-x anyways since it contains a lot of performance enhancements as well as security fixes. Note that going between firmware versions 3 and 4 will require a factory default, so if you downgrade and restore from config now, you'll still need to factory default again if you go back to 4.

Message 4 of 7
Suli
NETGEAR Expert

FVS336Gv2 V4.x.x release notes point out "Upgrading from 3.x.x-x (platform 1.0 base) to 4.x.x.x (platform 2.0 base) or downgrading from 4.x.x.x to 3.x.x.x requires factory reset of the configuration."

Message 5 of 7
john-ng
Aspirant

And the conversation ended there?

Where is the support for converting the previous cfg file version ad settings to the new settings?

Are we expected to take screenshots, or read the config file in sublime?

(and stop having that neusance pop-up on this page interrupt my thoughts and typing)

Seriously, the VPN did nto even take on the previous IP LAN IP address - also not in Release Notes for update.

DIssapointed and with a lot of work ahead of me....

It is irrelivant that the update requires a reset of the configuration - this is post-update insanity that there is no support on this.

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi john-ng, 

Kindly read my response on your post here.  Let us know if you have questions.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements