Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuring R6300v2 and FVS318Gv2 for home wired and wireless network

JoeBart
Aspirant

Configuring R6300v2 and FVS318Gv2 for home wired and wireless network

I need to set up a wired (Ethernet) and wireless (WIFI) network in my home with ADSL Internet service.  I have a separate modem (TP-Link) connected to a wired router (FVS318Gv2) in a media cabinet.  One of the 8 ports on the FVS318Gv2 is connected to a R6300v2 which at this time is only wireless (no devices connected to its Ethernet ports except the feed from the wired router).  This network 'works' but my Internet service provider is not very reliable; I lose the Internet about once a day or so usually for short periods (in minutes).  After losing the Internet the network doesn't find it again and I have to perform a hard reboot of the modem and wired router (not the wireless) to access the Internet on any of the devices.  The other problem I have with the present configuration is I can't print on my wireless printer unless the device feeding the printer is also wireless.  That is, a computer connected to the network using wired Ethernet cannot print a document.  I have tried several configurations (such as WAN-LAN and LAN-LAN, and several IP address scenarios, etc.) but none are satisfactory.  I can remove the FVS318Gv2 from the network and run completely wireless and the network is stable and is able to recover from loss of Internet with no human intervention however the load on the WIFI is too much and I have a very nice FVS318Gv2 that isn't being used.  I would think that what i am trying to setup is a commonly used home network and it would seem to me to be straight forward but I can't seem to make it perform reliably.  Can someone point me to a document that gives me details (router settings and IP addresses, DHCP, etc.) on how to set this up?  I have found some generic setup instructions on setting up a similar network on the Internet but these suggestions performed worse than the configuration with the two problems discussed above.

Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Configuring R6300v2 and FVS318Gv2 for home wired and wireless network

Hi JoeBart,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

It seems that the internet connection is intermittent through the FVS318Gv2.  I suggest you to upgrade the firmware of the FVS318Gv2 to the latest version 4.3.5-3.  You can download it here.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the FVS318Gv2 after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  Then, observe the internet connection through the FVS318Gv2.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JoeBart,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to upgrade the firmware of the FVS318Gv2 to the latest version 4.3.5-3 then factory reset it and reconfigured it from scratch?  If yes, how is your internet access through your FVS318Gv2? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 3 of 6
JoeBart
Aspirant

DaneA

Yes I did the suggested tasks.  My Internet has been stable since.  I forced a loss of Internet and the system reconnected when I reconnected it.  Now I am waiting for my ISP to drop it as they have done so many times in the past.  Of course, when you want it to happen it doesn't but only 1.5 days have passed.  Eventually we will see if it recovers from an ISP drop out.  By the way, was one of the fixes incorporated in this firmware upgrade an improvement it the ability for the FVS318Gv2 to recover from an Internet drop out or did you just want to make sure I was up to date prior to trying other fixes?

Thanks,

Joe

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JoeBart,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad to know that the internet connection has been stable.  Most of the time, upgrading the firmware helps.

Kindly observe the internet connection.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JoeBart,

Just a follow-up again.  How is your internet connection through the FVS318Gv2?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements