Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configuring a Guest Wifi Network with BR500 and WAC510

madmacs
Aspirant

Configuring a Guest Wifi Network with BR500 and WAC510

Configuring a Guest Wifi Network with BR500 and WAC510

I am configuring a BR500 router and a WAC510 for a resterant.

I would like to configure the network so we can use one of the SSIDs for Staff access for wireless order pads staff cell phones, etc. This wireless network also needs to communicate with the devices on the wired network plugged into port 1

The other SSID I would like to configure for guest access. Users connecting to this SSID would not have access to the devices on the Staff network, and can only communicate with the WAN port.

In my configuration, The wan port is plugged into the ISP. The switch for the LAN connections is plugged into Port1. The WAC510 is plugged into port 4.

I have looked for documentation on how to set up this use case. I did find an outdated article discussing Guest network, but the Step by step instructions seem to be outdated.

I would appreciate any assistance in configuring this equipment!

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 4
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

You would need to create a VLAN for the guest network and to assign an SSID to the guest VLAN. If you are using Insight you can board both devices and use the VLAN configuration wizard to setup the VLAN and assign the ports to be part of the VLAN. During the wizard setup it will ask you to create an SSID as well as assign an IP subnet to the VLAN.

More information on how to setup a VLAN in Insight can be found here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000044352/How-do-I-set-up-a-custom-VLAN-in-Insight

Message 2 of 4
madmacs
Aspirant

I had looked at that article, its the one that seems out of date. But with your guidance I think I got to the same place.

I am using the insight mobile app

Upon entry to the App, the article tells you to:

2. Click Networks in the menu at the bottom of the page.

There is no "Networks" at the bottom of the page. It seems this is now called "Locations"

4. Tap Wired Settings > VLAN.

This button is there, although it is only labled Wired Settings.

Tap + in the upper right corner of the page to create a new VLAN.

Pulls up a dialog to add device with barcode or scan network. I had to remove the Access point from the list before this would work. And Scan network didn't, but scan barcode did.

I created the guest network in the wizard first. I now have one SSID for the Guest network attached to VLAN1

Do I go through the same steps to create the Staff network?

How do I configure it so one of the ports on the router connects to the LAN switch, and shares a connection with the Staff Network, yet remains isolated from the Guest netowork.

Should I configure the port the WAC is connected to as an access port?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Assuming both the WAC and BR500 are added to Insight and showing online. The instructions for creating a VLAN network are:

1. Go to the Wired tab > Settings > VLAN/Network Setup and click the + sign.

2. Name the network, description, vlan name, and assign it a VLAN ID and click next.

3. The port the WAC is connected to will need to be a trunk port to preserve the VLAN information. Select the port and click the trunk button. Remember this is only for the access point. If you are connecting a PC to one of the LAN ports, it will need to be access. Click next once you finish setting up port information for this VLAN.

4. Select Add New Wifi (SSID), name the SSID and create a password. Once it is finished, select next.

5. IP configuration you can leave as none for the routing information. Click next.

6. You will need to create a DHCP pool for this VLAN. Create the DHCP pool and subnet and click next.

7. Final step is to setup VLAN sharing (this is useful if you have for example a printer that you want both networks to have access to, or a department that needs access to resources on another VLAN network). Once you have finished the setup the SSID should now broadcast and serve an IP address based off the VLAN you have created.

You can now do the same steps to create one for the staff network. Let me know if this helps.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements