Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configuring static route

tachyon_pulse
Aspirant

Looking at the product descriptions still leave me unsure, would the NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108T 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch 10/100/1000Mbps work?
Message 26 of 34
fordem
Mentor

Provided you don't need more that seven wired devices on your IoT - it should - the eighth port will "uplink" to your FVS318N - I have one of the v1s here, very happy with it.
Message 27 of 34
tachyon_pulse
Aspirant

Thanks! One last question, I have a long single run connected to a Netgear GS105 going to two of my IoT devices. If I put the GS108T between the FVS318N and the GS105 does having the GS105 undermine my isolation plan? FVS318N --> Netgear GS105 ---> GS105 |--> IoT! |--> IoT2
Message 28 of 34
fordem
Mentor

Those two devices will be able to see one another as they will be on the same VLAN - the same port off of the GS108T.
Message 29 of 34
SamirD
Prodigy

tachyon_pulse wrote:
Hi Samir, so that's the bugger, client isolation is only for a VLAN's wireless clients, that is wireless clients can't see each other, but they can see wired clients on the same VLAN and the hardwired clients can 'see' everything. I don't understand why there isn't a simple check-box equivalent for wired clients (or simply all clients on a particular VLAN.

Since I already have the 318N, it would be nice to find a Netgear managed switch that would integrate with the 318N for my isolation needs. Once I get this all set up I plan to do some tests to see if it behaves as I need. Any specific gear recommendations would be appreciated if not, please tell me explicitly the features I need to look for. Thanks. This is an awesome lesson.
Oh I know what you mean, but that's why I was suggesting the wireless to wired bridge. If the client isolation is integrated at layer 1 as a feature set of the wireless lan, then a wireless to wired bridge should bring the same feature set to wired devices. But if client isolation is integrated into wireless lan at a higher level, like level 2 or above, then the wireless to wired bridge may not bring client isolation with it.

Any switch that does VLANs should work, not just netgear brands. I usually look at used gear as you can get pretty nice bargains on solid equipment like this:
http://www.ntc-tech.com/store.php?p=4596
http://www.ntc-tech.com/store.php?p=13045
fordem wrote:
When discussing switches, managed & inexpensive don't exactly go hand in hand - what you need is a switch that supports VLANs, so a SmartSwitch could do it, and you need port, one VLAN per device, so take a look at Netgear's SmartSwitch lineup and see what grabs your fancy
This is almost no longer true, although you still get what you pay for. It's pretty cool that switches have now completely replaced hubs, as you once had a pay a premium for a switch too.
tachyon_pulse wrote:
Looking at the product descriptions still leave me unsure, would the NETGEAR ProSAFE GS108T 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch 10/100/1000Mbps work?
Yes, this would work fine.
fordem wrote:
Provided you don't need more that seven wired devices on your IoT - it should - the eighth port will "uplink" to your FVS318N - I have one of the v1s here, very happy with it.
And if you don't need gigabit on all ports, but need ports, you can get some great bargains on 24-port managed switches with 2 gigabit uplinks.
Message 30 of 34
tachyon_pulse
Aspirant

SamirD, Thanks for the tip on the used gear, any preference on which is friendlier to configure and use for a networking newbie? I picked up an inexpensive TL-SG108E and by using it's MTU VLAN configuration I was able to achieve the wired client isolation I wanted. I now have 2 final challenges. 1 On 192.168.3.0/24 subnet that has the gateway and WiFi on the NetGear router, When I do a network scan from my iPhone, the "WLAN Partition" feature hides all the WiFi devices connected to that SSID, it doesn't hide any of the wired devices connected to the SG108E. Is there a way to hide the wired addresses from the WLAN addresses on the same subnet? 2. I have an Amazon FireStick in my 192.168.3.0/24 WiFi segment, I wanted to take an old iPod and install the Amazon Fire app on it to control the FireStick. This requires that they both be on the same subnet and and can see each other. I'm wondering if their is some way (e.g., static route) that would maintain the WLAN isolation but let the iPod communicate with the FireStick? Thanks for all your advice and mentoring. I'm learning a lot.
Message 31 of 34
SamirD
Prodigy

tachyon_pulse wrote:
SamirD, Thanks for the tip on the used gear, any preference on which is friendlier to configure and use for a networking newbie? I picked up an inexpensive TL-SG108E and by using it's MTU VLAN configuration I was able to achieve the wired client isolation I wanted. I now have 2 final challenges.
1 On 192.168.3.0/24 subnet that has the gateway and WiFi on the NetGear router, When I do a network scan from my iPhone, the "WLAN Partition" feature hides all the WiFi devices connected to that SSID, it doesn't hide any of the wired devices connected to the SG108E. Is there a way to hide the wired addresses from the WLAN addresses on the same subnet?

2. I have an Amazon FireStick in my 192.168.3.0/24 WiFi segment, I wanted to take an old iPod and install the Amazon Fire app on it to control the FireStick. This requires that they both be on the same subnet and and can see each other. I'm wondering if their is some way (e.g., static route) that would maintain the WLAN isolation but let the iPod communicate with the FireStick?

Thanks for all your advice and mentoring. I'm learning a lot.
I usually look through the manual of anything I plan to buy. This way I can see how the configuration works, how difficult it is, and if there is anything that keeps me from doing what I want. I'd use the same approach with the managed switches, although I think they should be much simpler than the 318N.

1. I don't think there will be a way to do that. Everything wired is accessible from the wlan, even if the wlan has isolation, so the sg108e will be seen the same way. There may be a way to make the sg108e isolate the traffic, but I'm not familiar with that device enough to say for certain.

2. If you want the firestick and ipod to communicate with each other, but not anything else, why not use a separate vlan just them? Then you can turn isolation off and can control access to them via the interlan routing.
Message 32 of 34
fordem
Mentor

tachyon_pulse wrote:
Is there a way to hide the wired addresses from the WLAN addresses on the same subnet?
Separate VLANs - one per port - on an 8 port switch you can have 7 and the 8th port is a member of all VLANs that links to the FVS318N
Message 33 of 34
SamirD
Prodigy

fordem wrote:
[QUOTE=tachyon_pulse;492414]Is there a way to hide the wired addresses from the WLAN addresses on the same subnet?

Separate VLANs - one per port - on an 8 port switch you can have 7 and the 8th port is a member of all VLANs that links to the FVS318N
Thank you fordem. I knew there had to be a way using vlans.
Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements