Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Current Prosafe VPN firewalls end-of-life?

train_wreck
Luminary

Current Prosafe VPN firewalls end-of-life?

Have seen some other posters say that support has told them the current FVS devices are end of life (FVS318Gv2, FVS336Gv3, SRX5308)? Is this confirmed? Are there plans for a refresh?

My current company has several of these devices at client locations, would like to know if we should be replacing them soon

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall,FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN,SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Betreff: Current Prosafe VPN firewalls end-of-life?

Message 9 of 14

All Replies
24mediaAdmin
Guide

Hi,

as far as I know, all Netgear VPN and UTM Firewalls are End of Life. I'm Netgear Powershift partner and the only information I have is that Netgear support told me that they have no information if there will be future products in this hardware category.

I'm still waiting for an official statement from my Netgear partner contact person. As soon as I know something I will let you know...

Message 2 of 14
train_wreck
Luminary

Yeah, I knew the UTM devices were EOL, and I had figured for a while that the VPN firewalls would be up next. They haven't received any substantial updates in a long while.

I wonder if the backstory on the VPNs is the same as the UTMs; "it's too haaard" 😉

Message 3 of 14
Alohadog
Aspirant

Netgear should at least take the VPN routers off their website if they are no longer selling them.  And maybe tell their dealers too? Amazon says shipping in 1 to 2 months.

Message 4 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi to all,

There is no official announcement that the NETGEAR ProSAFE VPN Firewalls are EOL (End-of-Life).  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 14
24mediaAdmin
Guide

Hi DaneA,

maybe Netgear doesn't want to pronounce it at this time.

Sorry in advance but from my point of view (as a Netgear Powershift Partner), secretiveness is not the right path. I got some other information from our Netgear country manager and Netgear support. Support told me that these products are all EOL and at the moment there is no replacement planned. After explanation about the PPPoE problem from this post to our country manager about the statement from Netgear Support that there will be no future firmware due to EOL, he said that he had the fear because there are no more firewall products.

So for me it's pretty clear that I have to deal with it and I have to look for another solution for me and my customers.

Regards

Message 6 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@24mediaAdmin,

Thanks for sharing the information you got. In order for this concern about whether the NETGEAR ProSAFE VPN Firewall product line is EOL or not, I have already inquired this to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support for confirmation.  I will post in this thread as soon as I get a feedback.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 14
Alohadog
Aspirant

Any updates?  It's been almost a month.

I'm getting tired of the DNS falling over when its not supposed to.  With no prospect of a software update, I've got to start looking at other vendors.

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 8 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 9 of 14
train_wreck
Luminary

Wow, just giving up huh?

Message 10 of 14
24mediaAdmin
Guide

Wow, finally a statement. It was a good product line. All it needed was somebody who cares about the firmware for adding new features and keep them up to date.

For us as customers and partners its like a punch right into the face. An acceptable, customer friendly solution would be to say: "Yeah the product line goes EOL but we know that we have a responsibility and therefore we do our best to integrate actual features and solve last problems in a future firmware upgrade over the next few months"

But you have chosen a not so friendly method like "Yeah, do what you want, We're out"

As partner and reseller I wanna tell you that this approach is a desaster. You might think of it like "Yeah, we should let these products die because they are not profitable" (or something else) but It will have a huge impact on the rest of your product lines. People are not that dumb. Everybody who knows how you proceeded with the EOL for these products will think twice to buy a switch or a nas. 

Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi All,

Two weeks ago I wrote a message to Patrick Lo, CEO Netgear and demanded an immediate answer regarding the Netgear Firewall products. I have been called back a week ago from his assistant, asking strange questions. Whatsoever, now Netgear came out with it.

I am pretty upset by this decision, especially regarding firmware updates of existing products. Perhaps Netgear Firewall clients should gather and sue Netgear with a class action - this business behaviour is of course not acceptable and shouldn't pass without protest.

Regards,

Viktor

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 12 of 14
train_wreck
Luminary

@viacker wrote:

Hi All,

Two weeks ago I wrote a message to Patrick Lo, CEO Netgear and demanded an immediate answer regarding the Netgear Firewall products. I have been called back a week ago from his assistant, asking strange questions. Whatsoever, now Netgear came out with it.

I am pretty upset by this decision, especially regarding firmware updates of existing products. Perhaps Netgear Firewall clients should gather and sue Netgear with a class action - this business behaviour is of course not acceptable and shouldn't pass without protest.

Regards,

Viktor

I'm not sure that a class action would be an option.... I mean, Netgear didn't have a contract with customers who bought the FVS devices (or at least didn't with most of them; I imagine some bigger companies maybe did, and perhaps they will continue receiving updates), so legally they can do whatever they want.... Make no mistake, there were many unresolved issues with these devices and it truly does feel like they couldn't get things together with regards to engineering, but I'm not sure that their giving up on the product line is legally "actionable".... just **bleep**ty Man Wink

Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, perhaps you are right. Well, let's close this chapter...

Regards

V

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements