Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DHCP On BR200

Tete-Ivorius
Follower

DHCP On BR200

Hello,

I would like to know if my Firewall / VPN Rooter, would be able in its DHCP service, to indicate the gateway, and the DNS that my clients of a network will use. Because currently in the DHCP section no field is present for this.

It's a BR200.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

To my knowledge, there is indeed no UI control which default gateway (aehm mostly obvious isn't it?) and one to three reachable IP addresses for DNS servers (definitively useful) will be provided along with the IP config by DHCP.

Message 2 of 12
bbl_1
Tutor

This is a very good suggestion, we'll consider this in the router feature roadmap. 

Thank you both. 

Message 3 of 12
Martinski
Aspirant

Hello,

was this resolved in the meantime? The current manual in the "DHCP Server" section states that the DNS server can be

specified. But since the "hey, this is a good idea for future implementation"-message in the previous post is very recent, I wonder who or what is out of sync here...or not. So what can be configured under DHCP Server settings and what cannot?

hint-hint-wink-wink: I have seen other router manufacturers have demo UI online where one can simply look around what can

be done BEFORE purchasing the device or BEFORE needing to ask questions like this in a forum.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@Martinski wrote:

was this resolved in the meantime?

This was feature request - effectively much older, but never heard - but picked up some two or three weeks ago. No change in the specs, implementation, or documentation since.

@Martinski wrote:

The current manual in the "DHCP Server" section states that the DNS server can be specified. But since the "hey, this is a good idea for future implementation"-message in the previous post is very recent, I wonder who or what is out of sync here...or not. So what can be configured under DHCP Server settings and what cannot?

Curious where you read this - can't even locate a comprehensive section on this subject.

The router can - for both IPv4 and IPv4 - either use the DNS server addresses as supplied by the ISP, or we can configure these DNS addresses system-wide. These addresses will be hand-out by the DHCP server on each [V]LAN, along with the gateway address for each [V]LAN.

Message 5 of 12
Martinski
Aspirant

Hi @schumaku ,

I got this from this manual

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/BR200/BR200_UM_EN.pdf

page 72:

Manage the DHCP server address pool for a LAN subnet

By default, the router acts as a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server. For
each LAN subnet, the router assigns IP, DNS server, and default gateway addresses to
all computers that are connected to its LAN subnet.

For a LAN subnet, these addresses must be part of the same IP address subnet as the
router’s LAN IP address for that LAN subnet. The DHCP address pool for the default
LAN subnet is 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254.

The router delivers the following parameters to any LAN device that requests DHCP:
• An IP address from the range that you define
• Subnet mask
• Gateway IP address
• DNS server IP address

This is what I said contradicts what is said about DNS server settings under DHCP for the subnets on this post.

I talked to Netgear support in the meantime and they said that ALL subnets inherit the DNS server from the

WAN interface. And reading on in the manual under the "DHCP for subnets" section there is indeed no further mention

of setting a DNS server.

So perhaps the intro to the chapter simply has a typo and it should have read "WAN" instead of "LAN".

For a LAN subnet, these addresses must be part of the same IP address subnet as the
router’s WAN IP address for that LAN subnet. The DHCP address pool for the default
LAN subnet is 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254.

I think this is most likely the case. But even then, not really clearly expressed what is going on.

Effectively you CANNOT set individual/different DNS servers (or gateways) for each subnet.

Martin

Message 6 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Martin,

The router does serve the interface IP address for the default gateway, so it knows each [V]LAN default gateway of course - very uncommon you provide a different IP then that interface IP as the default gateway, isn't it? Have not seen many security appliances and routers (but have written the specs for two other vendors) and serving DHCP where the DHCP supplied default gateway can be freely configured...

Still can't see the text you are interpreting that the DNS IPs for each [V]LAN is freely configurable. Yes, as support already told you, it does currently supply the system-wide valid values - either fro the ISP, or as manually set in the global settings. Nothing contradicting - it does exactly as shown in the docs. Just not the way we need it.

This is of course what we are seeking for, due to various reasons and use case.

Unfortunately, Netgear is far away from what we expect to be a kind of universal router for the intended market. Instead, they focus on some niche features for a use case every average network admin can do with some clicks - but unluckily name it what we read as "Business Router".

-Kurt

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@bbl_1 when can we expect to get our hands on a test firmware with a more flexible DHCP server config for both the BR200 and the BR500?

Message 8 of 12
Martinski
Aspirant

Yes, maybe YOU do not see it written that way, but I sure did. It sounded to me in the beginning of the "LAN" chapter in the manula, that for each LAN interface you could specify a different DNS server (I was never interested in different gateways, that was just something the thread opener threw into the discussion). And then I found this thread and was confused.

Anyways, If anyone knows a small-ish router that can serve out different DNS servers on different subnets/LAN interfaces, please let me know.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 12
Sh3rl0ck
Initiate

Hi all!!,

this was not what i expected when a bought the BR200... I wanted to be able to manage my device via Insights and few options are just plain missing (unless there is dirt in my eyes 🙂 ). I wanted to create a second VLAN with tag #2 and it wouldn't let me and didn't raise a flag why... Secondly, I wanted to create IP resevervations on a DHCP server and there was no option to do so, I also wanted to manually give a DNS option per VLAN because the DNS is inside one of the VLAN's and securly separated from each other. So one VLAN can inherit the WAN DNS and the other VLAN contains its own (because of a AD server). After wandering arround i found the local GUI for the device and found that VLAN 2 is used for the WAN connection... it could've been handy that the Insight GIU gave a hint about this... Also found a way to create the reservations. I came from a Cisco environement and was convinced by someone to try Netgear but somewhat disapointed... For now... this is (IMHO) all fixable in future realeases but for now... i'm not entirly convinced... Carpe Diem friends

Message 10 of 12
ziggyk
Initiate

It's been 5 months since this request was put in, any update on us receiving a firmware update so we can set our DNS server manually?

Message 11 of 12
ZbigT
Guide

NETGEAR has EOLd the BR200 already so sadly it seems that "never" is the most probable answer. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements