Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP Option 66 (TFTP Server Name)

jgwalt
Follower

DHCP Option 66 (TFTP Server Name)

So I've inherited a bit of a mess. I volunteer at a small non-profit organization.  

Here is what I have:

Prosafe SRX5308 VPN firewall with lost username and password, so the firmware version is unknown. (I've looked everywhere for where it might have been written down and asked anyone I can think of that might have known it).

It has a single unmanaged gigabit switch connecting it to the PC's in the office. 

I am trying to setup a 3CX system in the office using some old Polycom phones that they already have.  The instructions on 3CX website says to use DHCP option 66 on the DHCP server to re-direct the phones to the 3CX PC to get the provisioning files.

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/polycom-soundpoint-301-501-601/

I've downloaded and read the manual, and I don't see any options for this in the manual, but it's very hard to follow the manual, when I can't access the menus.

I've also found that the only recovering the password is to reset the VPN firewall to defaults, since I have no idea what it set to now, I can't reliably put it back the way it is now, and don't have any way of knowing what this might break in the office (They are only doing basic office stuff: email, word processing, printing via networked copier, scanning, etc...).

I'd rather not go through all the hassle of resetting up the device when what I want to do isn't possible.  If I get a new firewall that can do what we need, I'll have to reset it up as well but at least I'll still have the old one as a backup if I run into unforeseen problems.  Obviously from the equipment I have described so far, my budget is very limited, so I'm trying to not buy anything I don't need.

My apologies if this has been answered somewhere before, but I can't find any threads for this specific model and option 66.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to setup the VPN firewall to use the DHCP option 66?

2. Is the any way of recovering the password without resetting the firewall?

3. Assuming, I'm in a you can't get there form here situation, any recommendations on a VPN firewall that does have a customizable option 66?

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DHCP Option 66 (TFTP Server Name)

Hi @jgwalt,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

There is no option to configure DHCP option 66 in the settings of the SRX5308.  DHCP option 66 is supported on NETGEAR Managed Switches like the M5300 series and M7300 series switch models.  Let me share the article below:

Networking Solutions for VoIP Application Notes

If ever you are referring to recover the admin password, there is no other option but to reset the SRX5308 to factory defaults. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DHCP Option 66 (TFTP Server Name)

Hi @jgwalt,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

There is no option to configure DHCP option 66 in the settings of the SRX5308.  DHCP option 66 is supported on NETGEAR Managed Switches like the M5300 series and M7300 series switch models.  Let me share the article below:

Networking Solutions for VoIP Application Notes

If ever you are referring to recover the admin password, there is no other option but to reset the SRX5308 to factory defaults. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements