Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP relay over VPN tunnel to Azure

diegobaccino
Aspirant

DHCP relay over VPN tunnel to Azure

Hi all,

This is my current set up. I only have one physical (host) server (192.168.0.0/24) and a direct tunnel an Azure VM (192.168.3.0/24), serving as my secondary AD server, DNS, and DHCP. However, I'm unable to get clients from the 192.168.0.0 network to request an IP from the 192.168.3.0 subnet due to not being able to relay the DHCP requests over VPN. Is there a way to do this in the Netgeat FVS336Gv3 software? I need to have this config in order to ensure business continuity during the maintance of the host on the 192.168.0.0 subnet. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. --Suggesting another physical server on the 192.168.0.0 is not an option.

Capture.PNG

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DHCP relay over VPN tunner to Azure

Hi diegobaccino,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let me share this old forum thread here since its similar to your concern and it might help.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@diegobaccino,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to access the old forum thread I've shared and used it as your guide about your concern?  If yes, any updates? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
diegobaccino
Aspirant

No. The solution on the other thread is not an acceptable solution. I want to know if the Netgear router can support DHCP relay for site-to-site VPNs.

Regards,

D.

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@diegobaccino,

I'm afraid that it is not supported on the FVS336Gv3. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi diegobaccino,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 6 of 8
dt987
Aspirant

Re: DHCP relay over VPN tunnel to Azure

Hi All,

I'm currently using UDP DHCP relay on M4300-52G-PoE+ switch to point to a DHCP server in our network per VLAN interfcae, server itself is Windows 2012R2 VM. DHCP works perfectly fine.

Now, let's say I want to add another DHCP server for redundancy. Does anyone know if it is possible to have primary and secondary UDP DHCP relays? It seems I can add another entry for relay with a different DHCP server IP address, but it's not clear how it will prioritize (or load balance) DHCP requests between servers? I guess the goal is to use one DHCP server as primary and another one as a backup in case if primary is not responding.

Both Windows DHCP server will be setup in failover.

Thanks!

Regards,

Dmytro

Message 7 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: DHCP relay over VPN tunnel to Azure

@dt987,

It seems that this thread is too old already. Please create a new post for this issue that you were having.

Welcome to our community!

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements