Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does BR500 DHCP provide Option 046 "WINS Server", like FVS338 does?

-kkm
Initiate

Does BR500 DHCP provide Option 046 "WINS Server", like FVS338 does?

I have had a FVS338 not many years, even keeping a cold spare that I never needed, and it currently does everything I need (which is your regular stuff you want from a firewall, and IPSec IKE tunneling). But that model is EOL since 2017, and, worrying about its security (routers are more and more often are targets for attacks planting botnets and other stuff you certainly do not want in your firewall), I decided to upgrade to its current apparent match, which appeared to be BR500.

I'm very pleased that I also got an OpenVPN server with it (I have it on a DMZ host now), but for the life of me I cannot find how to enable DHCP option 046 for the WINS server address, which is important for Windows hosts on the net. Am I missing it, or is it just no longer there?

Of course I can relocate DHCP server to the server currently running OpenVPN, but it would be super nice to have everything in one always-on place...

Needless to say, I upgraded the BR500 firmware to the latest available the first thing after powering the unit on.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@-kkm,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As far as I have checked the BR500 user manual, it seems that there is no option to configure a WINS server.  

I suggest you to post your concern as feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business board here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@-kkm,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As far as I have checked the BR500 user manual, it seems that there is no option to configure a WINS server.  

I suggest you to post your concern as feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business board here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
-kkm
Initiate

Thanks @DaneA , I went the same route, and it does not look like WINS is mentioned by name anywhere in the manual.

I moved the DHCP server to a NAS box (most of them do much more than just NAS). Keeping the FVS338 just for the sake of DHCP service is also not a crazy idea (it's not yet even 15 years old, cost us probably 3 times the BR500 in today's money, and I still have an unused working spare!)

I'll post the FRs as you recommend. DHCP WINS option(s) support is really a borderline feature though: There's a myriad of them defined, and why the router's DHCP server should support X but not Y?

On the other hand, I noticed two other features in the FVS but not the BR: ping and traceroute from the admin UI. At the very least, just a ping tool may be a huge timesaver. I had no problem setting up the BR500; but if I had, there is nothing closer to the provider than the edge router. I think this would be even more sensible request. Last pages of the manual, right before the Appendix A, positively show the ping tool is not there.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements