Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Drops internet connections FVS318N with the newest firmware

DCrusher
Aspirant

Drops internet connections FVS318N with the newest firmware

Well after updating to the newest firmware.  This has turned in to a nightmare.   I can't remember how long I've had it but I've always had to reboot it maybe once or twice a week for losing the WIFI now after the update firmware now it losing the internet connection.   I have no problem rebooting it but it went from once or twice a week to 3 or 4 times a day.  So I down graded to much earlier version firmware still does the something so basically this thing is junk now.   I don't mind rebooting every now and then but NOT every couple of hours to hell with that so I broke out my old D-Link 8 port WIFI been running with out a glitch for 2 days its a 10/100 so it's a little slower but right now I'm willing to sacrifice speed for reliability im tired of getting up and go in to other room and reboot just so I can finish sending email or receiving it give me a break.   This can't be this difficult to make it just work.   I have a simple configuration I use it for all the computers and for mobile devices I never have more than 2 mobile devices on it at once and maybe 2 computers on at once so why is this keep dropping the internet its behind a AT&T uverse residential gateway and the WIFI or internet never goes down   I just want the netgear to work like the AT&T gateway works flawless...    any ideas I'll be more than happy to try.   

Message 1 of 12
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi DCrusher,

Have you tried resetting it to factory default and try to connect if it will work on default settings? If yes then this might probably a hardware issue already. Please create a chat / case online on NETGEAR support and if ever the device is still under warranty, an online replacement will be provided.

Regards,

Message 2 of 12
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@DCrusher,

I just want to have a follow up on this thread that you created. If you were able to reset it to factory default. Please let us know the update of your issue.

Regards,

Message 3 of 12
DCrusher
Aspirant

Yes I have update the firmware and reset it.      Now I just have to renter thing and right now I'm going to run it as a TESTING next to the D-Link.   As for warranty you don't have to worry about that it's 2 or 3 years old.      I just very happy you helped because I'll try anything to get my netgear back up my D-Link is great but speed is lacking.       Thank You.     

Message 4 of 12
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@DCrusher,

That's great! Let me just remind you that your device has a lifetime hardware warranty. Please keep us posted on this one.

Regards,

Message 5 of 12
DCrusher
Aspirant

I didn't know that. thank you.   I have one question before I upgraded or down grade another words before I started messing with this thing I made a backup CFG file do you think for any reason that if I restore from that CFG file that there would be anything in it to mess it up.    I have it up and running with the newest firmware and reset it so it cleared everything out and then I restored it with the backup CFG file and it running right now.  Like I said before I'm running right next to the D-Link with a different SSID name and this IPad is connected to it right now.  So this weekend I'll added some more to it and see if it messes up again.     Once again Thank You

Message 6 of 12
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@DCrusher,

The only problem that you were having is that if you backup a config file when there is still a problem exists on your network. We have to fix the issue first before setting a backup config so that we are on the right track. Once we uploaded the config file with the old issue, then the problem will not be fixed. I may advise you to start from the scratch and if everything works ok now then you may now start to backup the config file. I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 7 of 12
DCrusher
Aspirant

Well when I backed it up there wasn't a problem because I can't remember what firmware I was running it was a very old one and just for giggles I backed it up and upgraded to the new firmware.   BUT I DIDN'T RESET AFTERWARDS AND THEN IT STARTED ALL THESE PROBLEMS. As soon as I emailed you yesterday the internet went down again so I rebooted it about 5 or 6 last night it has been up ever since.  I'm still running on it.   I can't for the life of me remember what firmware was in it before all this started.  Like I said before it was the WIFI that kept dropping out every 2 or 3 weeks NOW it's the internet and it's been dropping out every hour or so.     I was reading on some of the other forums that they turned on firewall problem went away I run no firewalls on any computers or routers but the AT&T gateway is running a firewall.    Thank You for any help.     I don't thinks it's a router problems it got to be something simple but what??? 

Message 8 of 12
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@DCrusher,

Then you may check your D-Link by connecting a computer directly to it to check if it is dropping or not. We just need to isolate the issue so that we may know what device is causing the problem.

Regards,

Message 9 of 12
DCrusher
Aspirant

The D-Link wasn't added until the Netgear started messing up both of them are running on separate ports on the back of the AT&T gateway so they're running different SSID and different ports so niether one should be entangled with the other so far I have been banging the crap out of the Netgear and it hasn't dropped out yet added my laptop to the mix and let it updated all the Blizzard games and the Dell Laptop updates and it's still going good we may have this thing whooped.

Thank You.    I'm going to let it run and pay attention to it for the next 2 days I have off so I can tinker with it more.    

Message 10 of 12
DCrusher
Aspirant

K move the router back over to take over its duties it worked great all day long until about an hour ago then it dropped the internet the only thing I've been running on it most of the day is wireless I had the wired computer on early this morning but turned them off about 6:00 this morning it is now 4:30 in afternoon.   i can send you the CFG file and see if you can see anything that might be a issue but I have it setup as simple as I can make it for me I'm not a IT guy just a poor shmo trying to just keep it work where I don't have to go in there and reboot it everyday or hour.     Any ideas would be great.  

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 11 of 12
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@DCrusher,

Thank you for that information. May you be able to reset it to factory default then try to run it only by the default settings so that we can check if it is a hardware problem.

Regards,

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements