Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FSV 338 Slow VPN speeds

LundbergRC
Aspirant

FSV 338 Slow VPN speeds

Hello there,

we are using a FVS338 (FW: 3.0.6-25)

Remote access via VPN client is a pain to use mainly because of speed. (5 clients on various OS's report the same issue).

Is there anything i can do to improve the situation?

Note: I am not that experienced in this area (IT in general). The device was st up by someone else.

So if any additional information - settings etc. - is needed please tell me and i'll try to find out.

Thank you very much in advance, Kevin

Message 1 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FSV 338 Slow VPN speeds

Hi LundbergRC,

The speed will be depending on the bandwidth that you've been using from your ISP. How much is the bandwidth that you have? Also, as I've checked that your device is not up to date. I may suggest as part of our workaround is to update the firmware first of the firewall to latest version, then reset it to factory default, then reconfigure the policies. It is pretty normal to slow the speed if your bandwidth is not that really high enough.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
LundbergRC
Aspirant

Hi John,

thank you for your Reply.

Our ISP "should" not be the bottleneck here, our bandwidth (office) is somewhere in the realms of 80/15 (speedtests confirm this). I have heard some providers like to throttle VPN connections specifically. The speed was however described to me to feel more like a 56kbit line so i doubt the Bandwidth used (office/remote) has anything to do with it being so slow.

As you suggested i will try a firmware update to see if that fixes it.

A factory reset is not an option JET. I'm simply to scared to break something.

It would be interesting to know, if any one else has this problem and if it even can be fixed without a change of hardware. I know the FSV 338 is restricted in its bandwidth and i would never expect 80 Mbit but something around 5-10 Mbit would certainly be nice.

thanks again,

Kevin

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@LundbergRC,

Thank you for that information. The FVS338 can only handle IPsec tunnels up to 19mbps only and this is a product limitation already. You are also correct that the bandwidth is restricted as this is only a 10/100 firewall router. I suggest replacing the hardware may resolve your issue here.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@LundbergRC,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if you still need further assistance and just in case that the reply would be the answer to your issue. I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 6
LundbergRC
Aspirant

Hello John,

I managed to get to decent speeds by lowering the encryption from 3DES to AES128 which should be secure enough for us. By doing that a new issue became apparent: when copying (larger) files via VPN, the throughput is about one Megbyte per second. (only limited by the internet connection really) wich is absolutely fine except every 3-4 seconds or so the speed drops to zero (actually 0 kbyte/s). Also, browsing files within the explorer is still kinda annoying: when doubleclicking a folder you sometimes have to wait a few seconds until its content is displayed.

Regards, Kevin

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements