Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS-318N; FVS-318Gv2 and Arris

SamirD
Prodigy

@shiekh wrote:

Is a switch enough or does the FVS-318 need to sit behind a router?

I think a managed switch will be enough since it would 'filter' broadcast and other packets coming from the ISP (or could be set to do so since it's a managed switch).

Message 26 of 52
neech
Aspirant

I really think I am going in the direction of getting a security appliance for my firewall. You can get them for (relatively) cheap, then I just need switches on the network to connect devices. I am looking at an open sourced one too, so I am sure any software bugs will get fixed because it is open to the community.
Message 27 of 52
shiekh
Guide

Keep us informed, as I have decided to pull the plug and stop investing money and time on the Netgear units. An open sourced unit sounds good.

Message 28 of 52
neech
Aspirant

Message 29 of 52
shiekh
Guide

Much appreciated

Message 30 of 52
shiekh
Guide

At over $300 a pfSense unit is expensive; then again one might argue what use is a $100 firewall that does not work. The ZyXEL VFG6005N firewall cost me $20 new with postage.

Some might say use an old PC, but even with cheap electricity 1W costs about $1 a year for a machine up 24/7, so even an old PC might be expensive to run.

Message 31 of 52
SamirD
Prodigy

@neech wrote:
I really think I am going in the direction of getting a security appliance for my firewall. You can get them for (relatively) cheap, then I just need switches on the network to connect devices. I am looking at an open sourced one too, so I am sure any software bugs will get fixed because it is open to the community.

I wouldn't expect much from this unless you're going the route of a self-rolled pfsense unit or something of that nature.  You can get a sopho utm download to run on your own hardware that would work well, but it's got limited support although it is regularly updated because it is the same as the paid version.

You have to remember that a security device (UTM-type product) is in a different class than the simple fvs-series of routers.

Message 32 of 52
SamirD
Prodigy

@shiekh wrote:

At over $300 a pfSense unit is expensive; then again one might argue what use is a $100 firewall that does not work. The ZyXEL VFG6005N firewall cost me $20 new with postage.

Some might say use an old PC, but even with cheap electricity 1W costs about $1 a year for a machine up 24/7, so even an old PC might be expensive to run.

Very good points to consider in any solution.  There's always a risk/reward ratio that one has to contend with.

Message 33 of 52
shiekh
Guide

Absolutely, and I am one who likes to be occupied by troubles such as this;

but in this case we have done so much work, and now only Netgear can

resolve the issue.

Message 34 of 52
SamirD
Prodigy

@neech wrote:

I am either thinking this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Firewall-Appliance-Qotom-Q190G4-S02-Processor-firewall/dp/B017SLX05A/ref=sr_1...

Or one of these:

https://store.netgate.com/SG-2220.aspx

The first one is just a hardware platform so you'll have even more invested before you have a solution, and the second is up there in price for a solution.  I think this product in their line would be more apt for a fvs318 replacement:

https://store.netgate.com/SG-1000.aspx

Keep in mind that if you're looking into solutions like this, real enterprise solutions are just a step away in this price range when found discounted:

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/WATCHGUARD-FIREBOX-T10-W-1Y-LIVESEC/4439090.aspx?pfm=srh

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-MSR20-20-ROUTER-BSTK/4430523.aspx?pfm=srh#PO

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/FORTINET-FG-50E-MAX-MGD-UTM-BSTK/4468766.aspx?pfm=srh#PO

Message 35 of 52
SamirD
Prodigy

@shiekh wrote:

Absolutely, and I am one who likes to be occupied by troubles such as this;

but in this case we have done so much work, and now only Netgear can

resolve the issue.

I think you mean to say not be occupied by troubles like this, and I agree with you 100%--we all have other things we need to do or would like to be doing than messing around with routers.

Message 36 of 52
shiekh
Guide

Except LiveSecurity Service needs to be paid for annually, so the low purchase price is a bit deceptive.

The SG-1000 looks like fun; what has pfSense gold got that the free version does not?

Message 37 of 52
SamirD
Prodigy

@shiekh wrote:

Except LiveSecurity Service needs to be paid for annually, so the low purchase price is a bit deceptive.

The SG-1000 looks like fun; what has pfSense gold got that the free version does not?

But even without live security, the Watchguard unit will run circles around the fvs318 at that price.  We actually replaced our main router years ago with an xtm22w.  While it was limited on throughput (could do 45Mbps at best wan to lan), it had up times of over 80 days regularly without a hiccup even when everything else like cable modems did.  We recently replaced the xtm22w with an m200 that we got for a steal.  I'm tempted to buy that t10 unit just to use at home--they're that stout, and the support is a real person that knows what they're doing.  I had to call them on a few issues on our m200 and was able to talk to them 'on the level', not dummied down as in the smb world.  It's enterprise gear with enterprise support, and that usually comes at an enterprise price unless you know where the deals are.

Message 38 of 52
shiekh
Guide

Maybe I am spoilt, but I expect an uptime way better than just 3 months

Message 39 of 52
SamirD
Prodigy

Those are hard shoes to fill in the smb world.  I usually have some sort of hiccup on carrier equipment that causes issues with a router and causes the router to need to be rebooted too.

Message 40 of 52
shiekh
Guide

Something VERY strange... my provider (Charter) sometimes goes down on Sundays, probably for upgrades. Just happened, so I thought I'd try the FVS318N again, as the current theory is that it was having issues with the Arris equipment of the provider. So far it has come up and stayed up longer than the usual 10 mins.

FALSE ALARM... a reboot test, and the same old problem is back...

sorry about that

Message 41 of 52
shiekh
Guide

Now they are marking this as solved... protecting the firewall behind another router is NOT a solution, just a diagnostic hack.

Message 42 of 52
SamirD
Prodigy

It doesn't surprise me that they would mark this as solved as it's a rare case (but prevalent enough that many are faced with the problem), and that there is a workaround to what essentially could be the ISP that's the root cause.

Nevertheless, it would have been nice to see something changed in the firmware because obviously other routers don't have such an issue even with the possible problems on the ISP end.

Message 43 of 52
shiekh
Guide

On amazon.com 42% (39 of 92) of the reviews for the FVS-318N are 1 star, so I would guess that the issue is not quite as rare as one might like.

just a thought

Message 44 of 52
shiekh
Guide

4.3.5-3 is out, but I have not yet had time to try it.

Message 45 of 52
SamirD
Prodigy

Perhaps this will address the issue.  Anyone had a chance to check?

Message 46 of 52
shiekh
Guide

All rather rushed, but as far as I can tell the unit still needs to be protected behind another router to work... (firmware 4.3.5-3)

Message 47 of 52
shiekh
Guide

Finally a little time, and after a reset (Netgear recommended) it seems to come up by itself and so far stay up.

Can't say its conclusive yet, and it would help if someone else gave it a try.

Message 48 of 52
Rastan
Aspirant

I also have installed it. Had to install it with telnet through CLI as SSL errors kept me from updating it through the GUI. Nothing in release notes that says it would fix our problem. I'll report back results.
Message 49 of 52
shiekh
Guide

From the release notes

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed the device crash issue

looks promsing, as the original problem was a crash after about 5 mins

Message 50 of 52
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 1 kudo