Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS114 New On Network, No Telephone

troothteller
Aspirant

FVS114 New On Network, No Telephone

Boy, it is difficult to use this forum. I chose the closest model to what I have just to get this going. I have the FVS114 which I may have purchased as far back as 2006, but never installed. Two weeks ago on Friday, February 9, my Windows 7 64-Bit crashed. After installing an "important" update and running my Sophos antivirus, a product choice with an office store's virus removal protection, my computer would not restart in either full Windows or Safe Mode. While the computer was in service, only returned last Wednesday, my wireless network functioned badly. My Ooma telephone was full of static and, therefore, unusable. So, I tried to use this VPN. I connected it to my Netgear cable modem. Then, I connected my router, unfortunately not a Netgear, and my Ooma Telo to the VPN. It seemed to work fine. I even made a test call. Then, this morning I made one call, leaving a voicemail. Afterward, I could make no more calls. There isn't even a faint dial tone. Possibly could the VPN block the Ooma? It doesn't seem possible since the telephone does not ever appear on the Network map even when functional. Thank you, friends and neighbors.

Model: FE104|4-port 10 BASE-T Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 27
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS114 New On Network, No Telephone

Hi troothteller,

So, I tried to use this VPN. I connected it to my Netgear cable modem. Then, I connected my router, unfortunately not a Netgear, and my Ooma Telo to the VPN. It seemed to work fine. I even made a test call. Then, this morning I made one call, leaving a voicemail. Afterward, I could make no more calls. There isn't even a faint dial tone. Possibly could the VPN block the Ooma? It doesn't seem possible since the telephone does not ever appear on the Network map even when functional. Thank you, friends and neighbors.

As I've understand, your current network setup is: cable modem->FVS114->router->Ooma Telo device.  Based from this, you have a Double NAT scenario which means a router is connected to another router and this causes problems.  The FVS114 is a VPN Firewall router and you have connected your non-NETGEAR router to it.  To know more what is Double NAT, access the article below:

What is Double NAT?

I suggest you the following steps:

1. Disconnect the your non-NETGEAR router from the FVS114.

2. Connect a PC or laptop directly to the FVS114 then check if are able to access the internet.  If are able to access the internet, go to step 3.

3. Connect the Ooma Telo device directly to the FVS114 then check if you can either make outbound calls or receive inbound calls. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, thank you for your reply, an unexpected surprise. Until now I did not know that I was adding another router to the network, although the ProSafe is probably not wireless. I will implement the steps later. However, I will upload a more accurate diagram of my network so you can see how I hooked up things. Thanks again. it is an Excel document; but you can ignore the second page

Model: FVS114|ProSafe VPN firewall 8 with 4 ports|EOL
Message 3 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, I connected the PC (laptop) directly to the firewall. It did not directly connect but formed under Network Connections a Network 2. Since I did not expect that, I put the wiring back to where it was. I guess that the firewall is on another address while the router is on a static address. Your link led me to an article "How to set the cable modem/router to be on modem only;" but my settings do not look like the ones in the article.
Message 4 of 27
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@troothteller,

Since there is no internet access when you have connected the laptop directly to the FVS114, kindly disconnect the FVS114 from the cable modem then connect your laptop directly to the cable modem.  Check if you are able to access the internet through the cable modem.  If not, you need to contact your ISP and check if there is a problem on their end.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, I assume you could open my last attachment, the Excel document in PDF form. So, you know how I hooked up. When my system made that Network 2, I did not choose it to connect. Now, I went back to my former connection where my Ooma started quitting. Getting my computer back from service did not make the network work any better although I have no problem video streaming. So, I connected my Linksys router to your cable modem and Ooma to the router. Now, I am going to have to see if I can actually connect through that Network 2. What I do not understand is how I formerly connected to the Internet with the FVS114 included. Was my former connection bypassing this new unit to my network? Right now I have a browser page open to the settings on the Netgear CM500, what Netgear calls the Netgear Genie. The related articles seem to assume that the non-Netgear hardware is a modem/router when it is merely a router. I do not know which equipment is the bigger problem, the Linksys router in my original connection, which comes with bad customer support, or your firewall, which at first Ooma sounded fixed. After I first connected it I telephone someone for fairly long conversation. Then afterward I made two calls to my printer's technical support. Those calls went OK except that they could not setup remote support. So, I will retry that Network 2 in Network Connections and see if I connect. As for Ooma, the Ooma base shows the correct lights; so I am not sure if I have a bad telephone or a bad connecting telephone cord.
Message 6 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, maybe after my attempts over the last three days Netgear ought to award me a medal. For about the last half hour I tried to connected my computer to the Internet through the FVS114 and that Network 2 that it setup. No go! I not only could not connect, but also I had trouble reconnecting after I shut down to reconnect through the Linksys router. To me it looked like Windows did its own self-diagnostic to restore my former connection, running one of its "wizards." But anyway, I am back up; and I am not giving up on the firewall. With Ooma, it doesn't work as it once did prior to the Windows crash of two weeks ago; and that occurrence might have been coincidental with the telephone reception quitting. I have yet to try another telephone I have, which may contain a dead battery, all of my spare phones being wireless handsets. However, with this AT&T CL2939, having tried it after changing the telephone cord and exchanging Ooma's bad Ethernet cable for a good one, I believe the problem may be in the telephone base. Every time I pick up the receiver I get different levels of dial tone volume, sometimes none, sometimes echo and from loud to faint. To me it sounds like something inside is not making contact as though one would have to know where to spray lubricant. Anyway, I am going to have to depend on articles rather than contact Linksys, which is too much of an ordeal. They wrote an article about cascading, the contents of which I will try. Thanks for helping so far.
Message 7 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, I had to relocate to post. I do not know at whose end this problem exists; but I could not login to this forum on any browser. To Customer Support I could not send webmail either. I may have chosen the wrong solution unless I can resolve addresses. My network is the same as the Excel diagram I uploaded; but I may have misapplied the articles. My Linksys EA7300 is a reliable unit despite the bad technical support. Anyway, I decided to make the FVS114 the main router and to put the Linksys router in bridge mode. However, into the Linksys router I have my WD network hard drive and my Konica Minolta magicolor 1690MF laser all-in-one, the drivers for which I recently reinstalled as result of the crash. Still no sound out of Ooma except intermittent dialtones. I cannot access the network hard drive and a test page would not print. I am thinking about resetting the Linksys router back to defaults and going through its setup again. To put it in bridge mode I had it locate addresses rather than designate them. As for the Ooma Telo, I believe the problems with that are independent of the network. So, I will take the telephone to a service department to see if it is OK. Thanks for helping so far. I would be grateful if anyone could help resolve the address problems although right now I am not near the computer to make any changes.
Message 8 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA and whoever else is following this, I am still posting at a public library's computer. However, I would not have kept the firewall on if I was not able to connect with the Ethernet cord connecting it with the computer. However, the wireless icon in the System Tray had a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on it, which usually means it is not connecting at all.
Message 9 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, I just was able to go through setup again with my router and I will leave it in its current mode rather than change it to bridge mode. Now I can access my network hard drive and send test pages to the printer. I will examine your articles and see how I can configure the VPN firewall to which I had Ooma Telo connected, although the Ooma problem with reception may have nothing to do with the other devices on the network. Tomorrow I will take my telephone somewhere to see if there is truly something wrong with it before I buy another one.
Message 10 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, there is one more thing I must ask. I decided to make my newer router, the Linksys EA7300 my primary router; but do I need to make any changes to my configuration regarding hardware settings? Both the Linksys and the VPN are each on different IP addresses already. Everything works although I am going to try to send a fax, which I expect will go.  You should probably know that under the firewall I did a ping test using the Linksys router's address; and it resulted in four lost packets.

Message 11 of 27
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@troothteller,

If the Linksys EA7300 router is set as the primary router and the FVS114 is behind it, you might encounter problems in establishing an IPSec VPN Tunnel using the FVS114 because of Double NAT scenario. 

Otherwise, if ever the Linksys EA7300 router supports IPSec VPN and decided to use it then that will be fine.  Don't connect the FVS114 behind the Linksys EA7300 router to avoid the Double NAT scenario. 

If ever you change your network setup and implement the same as the attachment wherein the FVS114 is the main router, kindly access the article below and follow the steps on how to set up the FVS114 as the main router for internet access:

FVS114 Installation Guide

Then, if the FVS114 is already set as the main router and you are able to access the internet through it, I suggest you to set your Linksys EA7300 router as an access point configured with an IP address that is within the LAN of the FVS114 to provide you with a wireless network.  Connect the Linksys EA7300 router that is set as an access point behind the FVS114.  In this way, you will not have a Double NAT scenario and you will be able to established a VPN Tunnel since the FVS114 is set as the main router. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, I have the user guide; but do not see anything applicable to our circumstance of two cascading routers. If we go back to putting the non-Netgear in bridge mode, then we make the devices plugged into it inaccessible. I tried to bring up the acceptable ranges for the FVS114 but could not locate them. However, the Linksys router is on 192.168.1/1, even though it does not in a URL display the settings. Control Panel, Network Connections shows that address for the Linksys. The FVS114 is on 192.168.0.1. From memory, I do not think the Linksys allowable addresses fall within the range that the FVS114 accepts, which are about 192.168.0.x. Other articles suggest designating the main router as the newest router, which for my network is the Linksys EA7300. The FVS114 I acquired when the going OS was Windows XP.
Message 13 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, I wish these posts were easier to edit instead of my having to post accidental omissions as new replies. With both my routers on different addresses, I thought my current network arrangement conformed to the description of gateway-to-gateway. Anyway, Netgear's articles are hard to apply because they either assume connection is to another Netgear router or to a combination modem/router. Neither describes my circumstance.
Message 14 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, I just had my telephone model checked out at a service center; and it works fine with no problems. However, I probably should have asked earlier my next question. Does it follow that I should connect the main router into the modem, and connect the extra router or access point into the main router? The way I have it, as I indicate on the diagram, the VPN connects into the cable modem; and the main router connects into the VPN. As long as I have my Linksys EA7300 designated as the main router, and didn't do anything to the VPN, should I swap their positions on my network?
Message 15 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, you guys at Netgear are going to love this. The problem that caused me to explore networking options was the reception over my telephone line. Today a figured out the cause of that problem. Here I was looking for a complicated answer, when it was a damaged coiled cord that was the problem. You know, the cord that connects the receiver to the base. Using another handset with a shorter but barely used coiled cord fixed the problem.
Message 16 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, probably we now have the Double NAT that your article describes. I left my browsers open last night. This morning I lost connection. So, far I received instructions on how to reset my browser. I will probably have to reset my routers. For the VPN114 I had trouble going through the Setup Wizard. I did not have all the information that the site wanted manually entered like DNS server and all that ipconfig did not provide, which probably does not work completely under a disconnected computer.  I hope somebody on this forum can help set this up so that the routers do not interfere with connection.

Message 17 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, disappointingly, I had to take FVS114 off my network. This double NAT condition was not easy to work with. My ISP technician advised me to plug the Linksys EA7300 into the modem. With the FVS114 plugged into that I could not access the FVS114 setup page. Even directly connecting with the computer I still could not get to the setup. I lost my telephone connection again until I disconnected from the FVS114. Still, even with everything connected, I am not pleased because I have too many devices connected to the main router. So, my network is prone to disaster somewhere along the way.
Message 18 of 27
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@troothteller,

I understand if you have to take down the FVS114 and use the Linksys EA7300 instead.  As per the data sheet of the FVS114 here, the LAN-to-WAN throughput of the FVS114 is just 11.5Mbps.  Knowing that the Linksys EA7300 is a newer device released in the market than the FVS114, I believe that the Linksys EA7300 has a higher LAN-to-WAN throughput wherein you could take advantage of the speed you are subscribed with your ISP.  

You may still connect the FVS114 behind the Linksys EA7300 router but you will not use the FVS114 as a VPN router.  Instead, you can set the FVS114 as a switch to extend your local network so that you can connect more devices (such as PCs, printer, etc.).  Here are the steps to configure the FVS114 as a switch:

1. On the FVS114 web-GUI, go LAN IP Setup under the Advanced section. 

2. On the IP Address field, enter a static IP Address that is within the local IP address range of the Linksys EA7300 router.

3. Uncheck the box that says "Use router as DHCP server."

4. Click Apply.  The FVS114 is now configured as an unmanaged switch. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, if you refer to the address 192.168.0.1, I could not access that address with the Linksys EA7300 router and the VPN connected behind it. I do not remember why I could before after I connected with the Linksys router. I still am not pleased with my setup since I have too many peripherals connected to my only router.
Message 20 of 27
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@troothteller,

Let me update the steps on how to set the FVS114 as a switch below: 

1. Disconnect the FVS114 from your existing network. 

2. Connect a PC directly to the FVS114.  Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210  to the PC.  Note that the default IP address of the FVS114 is 192.168.0.1. 

3. Open a browser like Chrome then at the address bar, type 192.168.0.1 then press Enter. Login to the web-GUI using 'admin' and 'password' as the username and password respectively without the quotation marks.  

4. Go to LAN IP Setup under the Advanced section. 

5. On the IP Address field, enter a static IP Address that is within the local IP address range of the Linksys EA7300 router. For example: if the Linksys EA7300 router local network address is 192.168.1.0 then set a static IP address of 192.168.1.18 to the FVS114. 

6. Uncheck the box that says "Use router as DHCP server."

7. Click Apply.  The FVS114 is now configured as an unmanaged switch. 

8. Connect the LAN port of the FVS114 to the LAN port of the Linksys EA7300 router.  Then, set the PC back to 'Obtain an IP address Automatically.'

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, I got as far as Step 3 above. My Windows 7 would not accept those setting as my OS detected. After the Troubleshooter reset everything, the firewall's address in Google Chrome opened to one of your pages filled with error messages. Those messages did not go away even after clearing browsing data and refreshing the page. The Netgear Genie never opened and those customary boxes asking for username and password did not appear. This is disappointing because even Linksys thought that your firewall could connect to their router. Please check out the screenshot.
Message 22 of 27
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@troothteller,

The NETGEAR Genie is compatible with most of the newer NETGEAR Home Router models and not with the FVS114.  I suggest you to try the following below:

a. Try using other browsers like Firefox or IE9 (Internet Explorer 9).

b. Open command prompt and check if you can get replies when you ping the default IP address of the FVS114 which is 192.168.0.1. 

c. Try using other PC or laptop to isolate the problem.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 23 of 27
troothteller
Aspirant

DaneA, the third option is not possible. My Windows XP computer crashed early in 2016 and I never did anything to restore it. I am not certain what I will do with it.  What commands should I use for step b?

Message 24 of 27
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@troothteller,

the third option is not possible. My Windows XP computer crashed early in 2016 and I never did anything to restore it. 

You may borrow a PC or laptop if possible.

What commands should I use for step b?

Kindly access the link below:

How to run a ping test 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 25 of 27
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements