Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318 now obsolete: replacement?

NGnimb22
Tutor

FVS318 now obsolete: replacement?

Our trusty FVS318 is now the bottleneck in our new high speed fiber setup. I noticed in another discussion here that you recommend the BR500 as a replacement. But the BR500 doesn't have the eight ports that we need. This is just a very small business, but we have a whole bunch of stuff on our wired network.

We initially installed the firewall/router FVS318 because of all the features and the value for the cost. Is there anything else you can recommend to replace our FVS318? I'm wondering also how necessary a hardware firewall is for our type of operation.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS318 now obsolete: replacement?

@NGnimb22,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Be informed that both BR500 and BR200 are already EoL (End-of-Life).  Currently, there is no 8-LAN port VPN Firewall available to offer. 

You may want to check the SXR30 Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mini AX1800 Router.   Kindly check the specification on its data sheet here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NGnimb22,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Be informed that both BR500 and BR200 are already EoL (End-of-Life).  Currently, there is no 8-LAN port VPN Firewall available to offer. 

You may want to check the SXR30 Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mini AX1800 Router.   Kindly check the specification on its data sheet here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
NGnimb22
Tutor

Hmm. It seems that there are a lot of different ways to go at this little upgrade issue.

The modem our fiber service installed is the Arris NVG448B. If I go into the interface for this modem, it shows that there is a firewall enabled - with the usual (but a bit limited) controls such as:

Level
Packet Filtering
Port Forwarding
Port Triggering
Static NAT
DMZ
UPnP
Access Control
DoS
Blocking
ALG Passthrough

In addition, I run NOD32 software on all of our workstations. SO, I guess the question is, do I need to spend $$ on a new network firewall device, or can I really just upgrade to a couple of unmanaged Gigabit switches and run them into the existing modem? None of the workstations are on Wifi, only a few portable devices. My inclination is to get a pair of ProSafe GS108's, hook up all of our machines to them, and run the switch outputs to the modem. For a small network with basically one or two users, is this enough firewall protection? I am a web developer by trade, but have been dealing with computer hardware for many years.

TIA!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements