Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318G really slow internet speed

JB_Morgy
Aspirant

FVS318G really slow internet speed

My internet speed from my ISP is 50mbps.  If I connect my modem directly to my computer, I get 50mbps download speeds.  But as soon as I connect the modem to my ProSafe FVS318G, the speed drops to only around 12-13mbsp.  

I see various references to FVS318G version1 and version 2.  I have no idea what "version" I have (how can you tell?).  I am running the latest firmware on it; 3.1.1-18.  I think I read where version 1 only had a throughput of 25mbps and version 2 (current version?) has a throughput of  250mbps.  Assuming I have version1, I'm still not sure why I'm only getting 13mbps instead of 25mbps.  If I was sure that buying a new version would get me to the 50mbps I'm supposed to get, I'd gladly do it.  But I'm hesistant to buy the same brand & model if I'm still just going to get 12mbps.  

FWIW, I'm not running any services (vpn, etc.), just 2 computers hooked up to it (both running Win10) and it's running the latest firmware.  All other settings are factory default settings.

Any ideas?  Will purchasing a newer one of the same model get me to 50mbps?

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JB_Morgy,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I believe that the FVS318G you have is a version 1.   The LAN-to-WAN Throughput of the FVS318Gv1 is 25Mbps which is lower than 50Mbps that you have subscribed from your ISP.  What you need is a VPN firewall router that has a higher LAN-to-WAN Throughput than 50Mbps like the FVS318Gv2.  Also, make sure that the modem is set to full-bridge mode so that the WAN IP Address will be registered to the VPN firewall router. 

Other than the FVS318Gv2, you may also check the FVS318N, FVS336Gv3 and SRX5308 on the data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JB_Morgy,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I believe that the FVS318G you have is a version 1.   The LAN-to-WAN Throughput of the FVS318Gv1 is 25Mbps which is lower than 50Mbps that you have subscribed from your ISP.  What you need is a VPN firewall router that has a higher LAN-to-WAN Throughput than 50Mbps like the FVS318Gv2.  Also, make sure that the modem is set to full-bridge mode so that the WAN IP Address will be registered to the VPN firewall router. 

Other than the FVS318Gv2, you may also check the FVS318N, FVS336Gv3 and SRX5308 on the data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
JB_Morgy
Aspirant

Yep, that was exactly the problem...mine was Version1.  Just purchased a FVS318Gv2 today, just got it hooked up and lo and behold, I'm hitting 56mbps now!!!!  

FWIW, you can easily tell if you have v2, because the web interface screen shows it as "NETGEAR ProSafe™ Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall FVS318Gv2".  Simple as that.  If it doesn't show "v2", then it's version1.  

So for any other users out there that have v1 and can't seem to get the speed your ISP says you should be getting, the problem is not the ISP...it's your version 1 router which has a MAXIMUM throughput speed of 25mbps.  Purchase a version2 router, which has a throughput speed of 250mbps.

JB

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JB_Morgy,

I'm glad that the problem got resolved using the FVS318Gv2.  🙂   I appreciate that you have shared your experience here in the community.

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements