Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318G won't reconnect to router without reboot

lpasekof
Aspirant

FVS318G won't reconnect to router without reboot

I have a FVS318G firewall connecting to an Adtran Netvanta 3430 router.  Periodically (frequently) performance over either the network or the T1 degrades to where I need to reboot.  Not sure if this is the Firewall/Switch or the Router/circuit which is causing the issue.  In any case, I MUST restart everything in a specific sequence to get connectivity back to the internet.  The FVS318G Must be restarted first.  Allowed to run for several minutes before I restart the router.  If this process is rushed or done in any other order connectivity will not reestablish.

My expectation is that I should be able to restart the Firewall/switch without restarting the router and they should reconnect without issue.  Are my expectations incorrect or is there something I'm missing in the config either on the Firewall or Router?

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS318G won't reconnect to router without reboot

Hello lpasekof, 

Welcome to the community!

Are you using the FVS318G as a firewall or as a switch? If you have two routers connected to each other you will experience double NAT. Try isolating the issue by using the different scenarios below: 

1. Remove the FVS318G from the network, or connect a PC directly to the Adtran router. See if you will experience the same performance issue. 
  2. Use the FVS318G as your main router, removing the Adtran router. See if this will fix the issue. 

If one or both of the scenarios work, then it only means that there is something going on with the two routers. 

Message 2 of 6
lpasekof
Aspirant

I'm using the FSG more as a switch.  Not sure I can remove the Adtran (carrier provided), though I can try.  It's what provides the interface to the T1.  I have connected directly to the Adtran with a PC.  Never had any issues with that.  The carrier provides only 5 IP addresses through the router.  I think I'm doing all the NATing through the FSB - but I could be wrong.

I tend to agree the two devices are now working and playing well together.  I'm just not sure how to fix.

Message 3 of 6
lpasekof
Aspirant

Typo - NOT working and playing well together.

Message 4 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lpasekof, 

I see, can you PM me a screenshot of the FVS' Router status? Go to the FVS' user interface and got to Monitoring>Router staus. I'll check if it's passing the correct IP. 

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 6
lpasekof
Aspirant

PM?  OK, now I'm going to show my ignorance. Man Frustrated  I can't paste into this window, nor does it appear I can add attachments.  How do I PM?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements