Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318Gv2 Slow Internet Speed

Mac_D12
Follower

FVS318Gv2 Slow Internet Speed

Just noticed i am not getting close to 150Mbps download speed on my comcast plan.

I have a Netgear CM1000 Modem, linked to FVS318Gv2, which goes into a NightHawk 7000 wireless router.

Download speed is around 30-40Mbps, wireless or hardwired to the home network.

By passed everything apart from modem and ran speed check, getting 150+Mbps. Then added the FVS318Gv2 and rechecked the download speeds, dropped to 30-40Mbps again!!!

Assuming problem is with FVS318Gv2, checked and looked at everything but cant see anything wrong in the setup. Have latest firmware.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 8
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mac_D12,

I will move your post to the correct location of the community for further assistance on this. :]

- Jason N

Message 2 of 8
rickgode
Aspirant

I think I'm having the same issue.  Chater in my area upgraded their service to 200mbps.  I am only getting 60mbps connected through the FVS318Gv2.  When I connect directly to the modem, I get the 200mbps.

I saw a post here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/HARDWARE-VPN-FIREWALLS-AND/FVS318Gv2-Poor-WAN-to-LAN-throughput/m-p...

that claims there isn't anything I can do.  Is there some settings I can try?

Ricky

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Ricky, Is this a DSL PPPoE connection (where the  FVS318Gv2 does have some limitations as per the referenced forum thread) or CableTV Internet (and no PPPoE)?

Message 4 of 8
rickgode
Aspirant

It is cable internet.  Under the Network Configuration/Wan Settings/ISP Type I have selected PPTP.

So I guess no PPPoE?

Ricky

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

...but similar problem, no hardware accelerated protocol optimizations in place for these PPPoE or PPTP on these devices.

Message 6 of 8
rickgode
Aspirant

So does that mean with the FVS318Gv2 I won't be able to achieve 200mbps?

Message 7 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

Yep, if this is the issue then it won't be able to hit 200Mbps.

It's been a few years since I looked at the 318G specs, but I think some versions were just  limited to just 60Mbps if I recall.

A logical and easy upgrade path would be the FVS318N and just shut off the wireless.  I have seen 350Mbps down on ours and I don't think that's the limit.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements