Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318Gv2 WAN to LAN throughput

johnakajohn
Tutor

FVS318Gv2 WAN to LAN throughput

I recently purchased an FVS318Gv2 because I needed to set up two VLANs, initial testing on my network looked good, after upgrading to the latest firmwware and resetting to defaults I had it connecting to my network via dhcp and connected a laptop to test the throughput and was getting 50MB/s on file transfers from my network and the full 70Mb/s from internet speed tests in a double NAT'd setup with my existing modem/route in place. However after replacing the existing router with the FVS318Gv2 everything went very wrong, with the same firewall settings speed tests dropped to between 50 and 60Mb/s. No amount of tweaking the WAN port speed / security settings / seemed to help. The only difference that I can see is that when connected directly to the modem I was using PPPoE, is there a cap/limit on the WAN to LAN throughput using PPPoE ?
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
johnakajohn
Tutor

Re: FVS318Gv2 WAN to LAN throughput

I seem to have gotten this working via telnet and a tftp server, I've sent the output to support to verify. Bit of a roundabout route but at least it seems  to work.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 25

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johnakajohn,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As per data sheet, the LAN-to-WAN Throughput of the FVS318Gv2 is 250Mbps and of course, this may vary depending on network traffic and environment.  I suggest that you kindly try to set the modem/router on full-bridge mode making it a modem-only device so that the FVS318Gv2 will be the main router.  Then, check if the connection has been improved.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

Hi DaneA, the situation you describe is where I have lowered throughput:-

client running download test -> FVS318Gv2 -(PPPoE) -> modem(HG612)    =>        50-60Mb/s

whereas in my initial test setup:-

client running download test -> FVS318Gv2 -(DHCP) -> old router -> modem(HG612)  =>       70Mb/s

In the test environment where I would have expected lower throughput I actually get much better performance, almost as though there is a performance bottleneck with the FVS318Gv2 PPPoE client.

It should be noted that in the test environment I had the WAN port set to 100BaseT

Message 3 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johnakajohn,

What is the brand/model of the old router?

It is possible that the old router is the one registered on the modem's configuration or registered with the ISP that is why you are getting a higher throughput when the old router is connected.  

Kindly try these steps below:

a.  Get the MAC address of the old router.

b. On the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2, go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > Broadband ISP Settings.

c. Click Advanced on the upper right section of the Broadband ISP Settings page.

d. On the Router's MAC Address section, select "Use this MAC Address."

e. Enter the MAC Address of the old router on the field provided.

f. Click Apply.

g. Connect the FVS318Gv2 directly to the modem again then check if the connection has improved.

h. If still same problem, turn off the both modem and FVS318Gv2.  After 5 seconds, turn on first the modem and wait for it to initialize.  After the modem has initialize, turn on the FVS318Gv2.  Check if the connection has improved.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

It is just an Airport Express I was using to tide me over, previous to this the line had a WNR2200v2 and a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 attached.

Regardless of what I set the WAN MAC to it always shows as 00:00:00:00:00:00 in the connection status.

Connecting a laptop directly to the modem and creating a PPPoE connection also gives the full 70Mb/s...

Message 5 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

In case it wasn't clear from my last reply this did not help.
Message 6 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johnakajohn,

Since your are getting full 70Mb/s of connection when your laptop is directly connected to the modem,  kindly try these steps below: 

a. Connect your laptop directly to the modem.  Make sure you have internet access.

b. Disconnect the laptop from the modem.

c. Connect the FVS318Gv2 directly to the modem.  Then, connect the laptop to a LAN port of the FVS318Gv2.

d. Access the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2.  Go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > Broadband ISP Settings.

e. Click "Advanced" on the upper right section of the Broadband ISP Settings page.

f. On the Router's MAC Address section, select "Use this Computer's MAC Address."

g. Click Apply.  Then, check if the connection has improved. 

If ever still same problem, kindly do these additional steps:

a. Turn off the both modem and FVS318Gv2.  

b. After 5 seconds, turn on first the modem and wait for it to initialize.  

c. After the modem has initialize, turn on the FVS318Gv2.  

d. Check if the connection has improved.

If ever still same problem,   kindly do these additional steps:

a. Disconnect the FVS318Gv2 from modem. 
b. Connect the laptop directly to the modem.  Make sure you have internet access and getting 70Mb/s of connection.
c. Once you confirm that you are still getting 70Mb/s of connection, disconnect the laptop from the modem.
d. Connect the FVS318Gv2 directly to the modem again.
e. Connect the laptop to a LAN port of the FVS318Gv2. 
f. Check if the connection has improved.

Hope ti helps.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

Hi, this didn't help unfortunately, however as per my previous message the WAN MAC always shows as 00:00:00:00:00:00 in the detailed status regardless of what it is set to if PPPoE is used, either the display is not functioning or this feature is not working as intended.
Message 8 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

Went in via telnet and its showing the mac address correctly for the WAN interface, must be a bug in the web UI ?
Message 9 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

This is really aggravating, there's definitely something limiting the speed and only when i use this device with PPPoE. Are there any known issues/limitations with the PPPoE client ?

Message 10 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

I think it might be MTU related (or as a result of changing a setting on the advanced tab), changing the MTU results in  a short period of fast connectivity, it then drops back to 60Mb/s after a short period of time.

Message 11 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

It's actually anything that causes the PPPoE session to drop, there's a brief period of good speed after it comes back up then it caps at 60Mb/s. So is there anything in the firmware that could be doing this ?
Message 12 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

Should I just contact support ? I assume by the lack of replies this goes beyond the knowledge of those answering questions here. I guess i should also report the bug with the MAC address not showing. I've tested this with multiple different configurations for PPPoE in terms of the port speed / MTU and it always limits the speed about a minute after the connection comes back up.
Message 13 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

Just so you know, I contacted support and this is apparently a physical limitation of the system via PPPoE, very dissappointed.
Message 14 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

and I still can't reload the firmware.
Message 15 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johnakajohn,

I apologize for the inconvenience about the limitation of the FVS318Gv2.

I suggest you to try to download again the latest firmware v4.3.3-6 on this link then unzip it then upload the image file to the FVS318Gv2 via a hardwired connection. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

Hi,

It nor any other version of the firmware will upload, I receive the message "Firmware file is invalid or corrupted" every time.

I added this onto my support case and tried hard resetting as they instructed but it still will not load any firmware, the case has been left open for me in case there are any developments.

Message 17 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

I seem to have gotten this working via telnet and a tftp server, I've sent the output to support to verify. Bit of a roundabout route but at least it seems  to work.

Message 18 of 25
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello johnakajohn, 

Thank you for the update, we'll check the support case and see if this is a valid workaround since we do not really suggest accessing the firewall via TelNet without the approval of the engineering team. 

Thanks, 

Message 19 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

They replied and said the method I used was valid, I closed the case and can now begin actually integrating this within my network !
Message 20 of 25
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johnakajohn,

Thanks for you feedback. You may also close this thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses that you received. 

Let me know if you have other questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 25
Djbower
Aspirant

Hello,

I have the same issue, Please could you tell me how your fixed it.

Thanks

Dan

Message 22 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@johnakajohn,

Is it alright with you that you share how did you make it work via telnet? 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 23 of 25
johnakajohn
Tutor

As per this:- " we do not really suggest accessing the firewall via TelNet without the approval of the engineering team. " I think what they should really do is contact support as my method may not work for them and I cannot accept any responsibility for any harm they do to their system by trying this.

It should also be noted that I did this with a mac, on a pc you will need to install a tftp server of some kind and maybe putty.

With that in mind what I did was

1) copy the firmware .img file to the tftp servers default directory (for tftpd on a mac its /private/tftpboot)

2) on a mac run the following to enable the tftpd server:-

sudo launchctl load -F /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/tftp.plist

sudo launchctl start com.apple.tftpd

on windows start whichever tftp server you are using

3) telnet into the FVS318Gv2, ona  mac I did this directly, in windows you may want to use something such as putty

4) login as the admin user

5) the firmware upgrade command is iirc (if you press return after each part the system will prompt you with the next available command / parameter):-

util firmware_upgrade <filename> <server_ip>

if you cant work out the two parameters to the firmware upgrade command above you probably shouldnt be doing this....

If you are successful you should see the system upload, check and then install the firmware, I could downgrade and upgrade but not all the way to the original firmware.

here's the output from my upgrade back to 4.3.3-6 after downgrading:-

FVS318Gv2> util firmware_upgrade FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.img 192.168.1.4
FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.i 100% |*************************************************| 26224k --:--:-- ETA
chmod: /mnt/tmpfs/tr69Instance.map: No such file or directory
Start upgrade ...
/var/image/FVS318Gv2_v4.3.3-6.img length is 0x199c000(26853376)
filename : ASL firmware
filelen : 0x199bf00
filecrc : 0x19d79729
file version : 4.3.3-6
kernel offset : 0x100
kernel size : 0x7c2272
fs offset : 0x8fff00
fs size : 0x109c000
calculate crc is : 0x19d79729
crc check PASS
Writing File System to Flash ...
Done.
Writing Kernel to Flash ...
Done.
>Firmware Version Updated

hope this helps, but before doing this be ready to accept the potential consequences !

Message 24 of 25
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johnakajohn,

Thank you for providing the step-by-step procedure.  I really appreciate it. 🙂  This will really help our fellow forum users.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements