Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318Gv2 as my main router, but can't get rid of the cert errors

frickebrett
Aspirant

FVS318Gv2 as my main router, but can't get rid of the cert errors

So I am absoulutely new to what I am going to call advanced home networking. I am planning on purchasing a home in the near future and I wanted to test out an idea I had. I plan on using the FVS318Gv2 my main router and having a few switches with some PoE access points throughout the home. Oh, and also some keystone jacks throughout the home as well for complete connectivity. I purchased the FVS318Gv2 and tried to test it out with my WNDR4300 acting as an access point. The AP was working and I was able to connect mobile devices to it when it wasn't connected to the network or the internet. As soon as I plugged it into the FVS318Gv2, I had limited connectivity and was not able to view any webpages. They all just timed out with certificate errors. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I haven't set up any rules or VLANS or anything that I believe to interfere. Can anyone out there help me?

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

Kindly try the following below:

1. Connect your main PC directly to the Motorola SB6141 then check if you can access the internet.  If ever you can go online proceed to the next step. 

2. Connect the Motorola SB6141 to the WAN port of the FVS318Gv2.   Then connect the main PC to any LAN port of the FVS318Gv2.

3. Access the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2.

4. Go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > WAN Mode, select NAT instead of Classical Routing then click Apply.

5. Go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > Broadband ISP Settings, set the following below then click Apply:

a. Select No on "Does Your Internet Connection Require a Login?"

b. Select PPPoE on "Which type of ISP connection do you use?"

c. On the Internet  Address portion, select "Get Dynamically from ISP."

d. On the Domain Name Server portion, select "Get Automatically from ISP."

6. Go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > Broadband ISP Settings.  Click Advanced on the upper right portion.

7. On the Router's MAC Address portion, select "Use this computer's MAC Address then click Apply. 

8. Check if you can access the internet.  If ever you are not yet able to go online, do the following:

a. Turn off the Motorola SB6141 and the FVS318Gv2. Make sure both are fully turned off.

b. Turn on the Motorola SB6141 first.  Wait for it to initialize.

c. After the Motorola SB6141 has initialized, turn on the FVS318Gv2.

d. Wait for the WAN port LED of the FVS38Gv2 to turn green then check if you can access the internet through the FVS318Gv2.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Correct me if I'm wrong.  What I've understand about your concern is that the moment you connect the WNDR4300 (set as an access point) directly to a LAN port of the FVS318Gv2, you are unable to go online wirelessly, am I right?  If ever I am right, kindly answer the questions below:

a. If you connect a PC/laptop directly to any LAN port of the FVS318Gv2, are you able to access the internet?

b. Since the WNDR4300 is set as an access point, I believe that it has a static IP address set on it.  Is the static IP address set on it within the IP range of the FVS318Gv2?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
frickebrett
Aspirant

You have given me 2 very good things to try. I'm able to take my network down this weekend. Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 12
frickebrett
Aspirant

So, I attempted again today. I connected the FVS318Gv2 to my Motorola SB6141. DHCP was working as ip addresses were being assigned, but there was no connectivity to the Internet. I decided to factory reset all my gear. This is where things broke. I reset the FVS318Gv2 and now I can't even hit 192.168.1.1. I have no idea why I can't connect to the Internet. I was using classic routing and only the one VLAN.
Message 4 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

Kindly try the following below:

1. Connect your main PC directly to the Motorola SB6141 then check if you can access the internet.  If ever you can go online proceed to the next step. 

2. Connect the Motorola SB6141 to the WAN port of the FVS318Gv2.   Then connect the main PC to any LAN port of the FVS318Gv2.

3. Access the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2.

4. Go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > WAN Mode, select NAT instead of Classical Routing then click Apply.

5. Go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > Broadband ISP Settings, set the following below then click Apply:

a. Select No on "Does Your Internet Connection Require a Login?"

b. Select PPPoE on "Which type of ISP connection do you use?"

c. On the Internet  Address portion, select "Get Dynamically from ISP."

d. On the Domain Name Server portion, select "Get Automatically from ISP."

6. Go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > Broadband ISP Settings.  Click Advanced on the upper right portion.

7. On the Router's MAC Address portion, select "Use this computer's MAC Address then click Apply. 

8. Check if you can access the internet.  If ever you are not yet able to go online, do the following:

a. Turn off the Motorola SB6141 and the FVS318Gv2. Make sure both are fully turned off.

b. Turn on the Motorola SB6141 first.  Wait for it to initialize.

c. After the Motorola SB6141 has initialized, turn on the FVS318Gv2.

d. Wait for the WAN port LED of the FVS38Gv2 to turn green then check if you can access the internet through the FVS318Gv2.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to perform the steps I have provided?  If yes, what are your observations? 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 12
frickebrett
Aspirant

I have not had the chance to try any of this yet. I'm hoping this weekend will allow it. 

Message 7 of 12
frickebrett
Aspirant

Alright, I have time today to try and get this to work. My girlfriend isn't happy that I have to take down the network to try all of these things. When my computer is connected directly to the modem, everything is snappy and works great. I get the speeds I pay for through my cable provider. I have the FVS318Gv2 connected with just my PC connected to it. I switched from Classical Routing to NAT, which I don't quite understand, but that will be saved for a different day. All the other settings are the same as you had instructed from 5-7, except for the PPPoE. I cannot check that box unless the "Does Your Internet Connection Require a Login?" is set to no. I do not have a login so I have no other way of having that selected. I tried this and got about 5 minutes of use out of it before I kept getting "ERR_TIMED_OUT", even when trying to connect to my FVS318Gv2. I reset the whole network and have been up now for about 15 minutes as I type this.

I also get a security warning when trying to connect to https://192.168.1.1/. I do not know how to get a new certificate to make this go away.

I appreciate all of your help! I just want to get this to work, I love my Netgear products.

Message 8 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

I'm glad that you were able to setup the FVS318Gv2.  🙂  Kindly observe your internet connection through the FVS318Gv2. 

About the security warning, I believe you will need to get a 3rd party certificate (for example: GoDaddy). 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

I just want to follow-up if your internet connection through the FVS318Gv2 is still fine.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 12
frickebrett
Aspirant

It looks like everything is working well. I haven't had any issues since you offered those alternatives. I still have a lot to learn, but I definitely appreciate your help! Thank you!

Message 11 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

You're welcome! 🙂  I'm glad to know that everything is working well. 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements