Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318Gv2 inter-vlans not communnicating between them

Wiktor
Aspirant

Hi, I have just configured an additional vlan on a FVS318Gv2, so I have the default and the new vlan. Both have the inter-vlan routing option selected. I have done this with other routers and this works seemlessly to allow communications between two or more vlans. However, the only way I can get communications accross the vlans is to give a client system a secondary IP address which doesn't make sense since like the other routers I've used, this one is supposed to automatically set up routes between vlans as per the manual on page 111 (see below).

The VPN firewall automatically sets up routes between VLANs and secondary IPv4 addresses that you configured on the LAN Multi-homing (IPv4) screen. For more information, see Configure IPv4 Multihome LAN IP Addresses on the Default VLAN on page 69. Therefore, you do not need to manually add an IPv4 static route between a VLAN and a secondary IPv4 address.

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FVS318Gv2 inter-vlans not communnicating between them

Hi Wiktor,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with the Inter-VLAN routing. Please make sure that both VLANs are enabled and the LAN ports are assigned properly. You can try to reset the firewall to its default settings and just try to add a VLAN then enable the Inter-VLAN routing on both. Test if it will work.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Wiktor
Aspirant

Re: FVS318Gv2 inter-vlans not communnicating between them

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply and input, however, that has been tried already to no avail. It just seems the inter-vlan doesn't work in this unit for whatever reason. I just did the same setup with a d-link DSR-250n and it went seemlessly without a hitch so I don't understand why this unit won't do the same. As stated before, once the inter-vlans are activated you can ping the respective gateways but nothing else behind them. If you add a secondary IP to the system, then you can ping other IPs on the both subnets. This doesn't make sense, most especially if you can ping the gateways successfully.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements