Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318N - IPsec - Android. Tunnel establishes but drops within seconds.

red2thebones
Aspirant

FVS318N - IPsec - Android. Tunnel establishes but drops within seconds.

I'm having a rather frustrating issue with connecting to the FVS318N via the Android built-in VPN client.

I have verified all the settings are correct on both ends and the tunnel comes up just fine everytime.

However, it drops within a matter of 10-20 seconds. I have the same issue when the phone is connected to 3G/4G or WiFi.

I have used the Netgear Client as well as Shrewdsoft on Windows machines and they both work ok, after tinkering with the settings/policies.

But everything I've tried so far hasn't worked for Android. Have tried a phone and a tablet, just to be sure.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Details:

FVS318N on FW 4.3.3-6

Phone and tablet on Android 5.0.1

LAN Subnet on FVS318N and VPN clients subnet are different (192.168.2.0 and 192.168.4.0)

Mode config and non Mod Config both tried, same result.

Other settings are just standard, as per VPN Wizard defaults.

Message 1 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

There was a thread on the old forum where someone got this to work.  I tried the instructions and it still didn't work for me though.

Message 2 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi red2thebones,

I have not yet tried to setup a client-to-box IPSec VPN between an Android device and a ProSafe firewall/router.  However, I just want to share this old forum thread and this might help as reference guide.  Look for the google plus link and there are screenshots provided once you click on it.  I am not sure if this is the old forum thread that SamirD is referring to.  

Hope it helps. Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
red2thebones
Aspirant

Thank you Dane and Samir,

I have tried the VPN client in the old thread and still have the same issue.

One difference I noted from those who posted in the old thread, was that they were not able to establish the tunnel at all.

I had no problems bringing up the tunnel, just that it drops very shortly afterwards.

The way I had configured the FVS and the Android built-in client pretty much mirrored the recommened settings in the thread anyway.

I'll examine the logs and see if I can find any more clues.

Cheers,

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi red2thebones,

Since you mentioned that you have no problem bringing up the VPN tunnel using your Android device, kindly post screenshots and the step-by-step guide on how you did it for the benefit of other community users as well as the community might help possibly isolate the problem why the the tunnel drops shortly. Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

I believe that was the thread. I think i could get the tunnel up, but nothing would route.
Message 6 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

I second the suggestion by DanaA.  Post up how you got it working and maybe that will help us help you figure out how to get it working. 🙂

Message 7 of 8
adit
Mentor

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements