Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318N Loses Connectivity

joe_schmo
Tutor

FVS318N Loses Connectivity

Problem:

- It provides DHCP to all devices on my network.  All devices lose internet connectivity, but keep local connectivity.

- Cannot telnet or access the FVS318N

I have to turn off the device each time to restore connectivity.

Running the most recent firmware, this problem was happening 10+ times a day.

Replaced my Arris modem with a Motorola one. 

Now problem happens at 1AM every day and another time during the early morning hours.

Because I have to reboot the thing, I don't have access to the logs and I'm really frustrated.

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS318N Loses Connectivity

Hi joe_schmo,

Let us isolate the problem:

a. If you will disconnect the FVS318N from the modem then connect your PC or laptop directly to the modem, are you able to access the internet just fine?

b. Are there any changes within the settings of the FVS318N that might have triggered the problem?

c. Have you tried to factory reset the FSV318N then reconfigure it from scratch and check if same problem will occur?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
joe_schmo
Tutor

Yes, if I bypass the FVS318N, I can get to the internet.

I've factory reset and re-done all the config.

Two days ago aI turned off the UDP Flood Check and disabled DNS Proxy setting in the network settings.

That seems to be better.

But every day at 1AM, I lose the ability to ping the router, and any outside website.  Strangely, skype stayed active for a while before I had to power off the router and power it back on.

It then loses connection sometime between 1AM and 6AM.

So something is up, and it's regularly occiring.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@joe_schmo,

Thanks for the feedback.  I suggest you to enable syslogs to your FVS318N.  Connect a PC directly to a LAN port of the FVS318N.  Set this PC as the syslogs server.  You may install Kiwi Syslog Server (or any syslog software you are familiar with).  Afterwards, access the web-GUI of your FVS318N. Go to Monitoring > Firewall Logs & E-mail.  On the Enable SysLogs section, select Yes then enter the LAN IP address of the Syslog Server on the field provided which is the local IP address of the PC that is set as the syslog server and click Apply.  

Use the article below as a guide on how to set up the Kiwi Syslog server on the PC.  Be reminded that the Kiwi Syslog Server version indicated on the article is not the latest version as well as the NETGEAR device mentioned in the article is already End-of-Life (EOL).  Just kindly use it as your reference in setting up Kiwi Syslog server on the PC.:

How to see NETGEAR device System Logs using KIWI Syslog Server

The goal of using syslogs is to capture the event that the internet connection through the FSV318N gets intermittent between 1AM to 6AM.   Save the syslogs to your PC.  Then open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support  and let them know about your concern as well as indicate this forum thread as a link.  Attach the syslogs saved on your PC to the chat or online support ticket you have opened.   Your concern will be possibly escalated to the engineering team for the syslogs to be analyzed.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@joe_schmo,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to get the syslogs from the FVS318N and open a chat or online case with NETGEAR Support?  If yes, keep us posted about the progress of your chat or online case.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements