Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318N - Single Device Access from 2 Vlans

SamirD
Prodigy

FVS318N - Single Device Access from 2 Vlans

So I'm trying to wrap my head around how to add something to my network that can be accessed by both existing vlans without allowing each vlan to see each other (no intervlan routing).

I'm basically trying to add a device that can be seen and accessed by devices on both vlans, but that will still keep the devices on each vlan from seeing each other. I wish my device had multiple ethernet ports or I could add one as the solution would be easy, but this is not the case.

I don't know if static routes might be the solution or if there is some other way to do what I want.  I'm open to any ideas, and thank you in advance!

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@SamirD,

This would be possible on a Smart Managed Pro Switch or Fully Managed Switch because you just need to member a port on 2 VLANs.  For the FVS318N, it seems not possible. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
SamirD
Prodigy

Yeah, if I have to add hardware, I might as well figure out how to add a second nic to the device as that would be cheaper than a hub.  I already have more ports on the 318N than I need atm.

There has got to be another way.

The reason I have 2 vlans in the first place is that I don't want all the devices on the network to be seen by the other end of a site-to-site ipsec vpn tunnel, so I have one set of devices on one vlan and the ones that need to be seen in the ipsec tunnel on the other.  If there was a way to have a second dhcp range that was not routed to the ipsec tunnel but in the same lan (vlan), that would also work to isolate those devices.  Thoughts?

Message 3 of 6
SamirD
Prodigy

No thoughts on how to have 2 IP ranges on the same lan?

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@SamirD,

Not sure if this will help.  You may try to look at utilizing the DMZ function. You may put the device into the DMZ then create LAN–DMZ rules to allow the different subnets access to the device without allowing those subnets see each other.

Kindly read page 87 of the FVS318N user manual here about DMZ.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
SamirD
Prodigy

This is an excellent idea.  I think it will work as long as both vlans will be able to see the device in the dmz when the LAN DMZ rules are set to allow all access.  I will try it if my other workaround I'm currently testing doesn't work.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements