Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318N VPN Tunnel from Single Endpoint to 2 VLANS

SamirD
Prodigy

FVS318N VPN Tunnel from Single Endpoint to 2 VLANS

I think I know how to do this, but wanted to confirm before attempting to make the configuration changes.

I currently have 1 VLAN on the 318N.  This is connected to another VPN router via a site-to-site VPN tunnel.  All works well.

I am neededing to add a second VLAN on the 318N.  And I also want this second VLAN to be connected to the same VPN router via site-to-site VPN tunnel.

Because the endpoint will be the same, I should be able to use the same IKE policy on the 318N, correct?  And then the only thing I need to do is create a new VPN policy for the new VLAN, right?

And on the VPN endpoint it would be the same--reusing the IKE and adding a new VPN policy for the new VLAN?

Any assistance appreciated.  I just want to make sure I have the theories right before I get in and start breaking things.

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
train_wreck
Luminary

Correct, if what you're doing is looking to add a second subnet to an existing IKE, just add another VPN policy, and select the same IKE policy. I had 4 subnets configured with the same IKE policy from the Netgear to a Cisco ASA5506 with no issues.

EDIT surprised at the response delay here , this is a pretty simple VPN configuration. It's just a single phase 1 installation with multiple phase 2s.....

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SamirD, 

I cannot confirm since I have not tested it myself (Will probably try on a later time). In theory, this setup should work since they have the same endpoint. The IKE policies will be the same for both VLANs however, I'm thinking this would only use one connection at a time. I'll inquire this one just to make sure. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Yikes!  Only one tunnel at a time would be a problem.  Let me know what you find out and what a workaround would be (new IKE policy?).

Message 3 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Any news on this?  I have to go live this week and would like to know what I need to do before I have to do it.

Message 4 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Still looking for news.  Gotta get this up and running and don't want surprises!

Message 5 of 9
train_wreck
Luminary

Correct, if what you're doing is looking to add a second subnet to an existing IKE, just add another VPN policy, and select the same IKE policy. I had 4 subnets configured with the same IKE policy from the Netgear to a Cisco ASA5506 with no issues.

EDIT surprised at the response delay here , this is a pretty simple VPN configuration. It's just a single phase 1 installation with multiple phase 2s.....

Message 6 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Thank you so much for the reply!  Yeah, I didn't think this was too complicated, but definitely didn't want to waste time 'testing' on the day of implementation.

Message 7 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

So I just ran into a problem with this configuration after my ISP changed my endpoint IPs without telling me. >:|

I am not able to update the endpoint IPs on either of the VPN policies to the new IP.  It gives me the error of 'Can't share IKE policy with different remote/local endpoint'.  I've tried disabling the VPN policies and that doesn't help.  I don't want to delete the policy and have to rebuild it from scratch.  There has to be another way to update this simple bit of information.  Any ideas?

Message 8 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Scratch this.  I had the IP off one digit on one of the vpn profiles.  Everything worked fine after it was changed to the correct IP. 😄

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements