Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318N Wireless network error While loading the page critical error encountered.

ehirsch
Aspirant

FVS318N Wireless network error While loading the page critical error encountered.

Annotation 2019-02-12 095806.jpg

This is a screenshot of the error I receive on the Radio Configuration screen on my FVS318N Router. When this error occurs, I am unable to connect new devices to the wireless network.  All currently connected devices stay connected. I have to reboot the router to resolve the issue.  Within an hour after reboot, the error again appears and the issue reoccurs.  I tried to fix by upgrading the firmware to ver 4.3.5-3. Is anyone aware of a fix for this issue even though this model is discontinued?

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ehirsch
Aspirant

Re: FVS318N Wireless network error While loading the page critical error encountered.

Thanks. I just gave up on it and set up an Aruba device so we could get the wireless network accessible again.  Right now this will work for what we need. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FVS318N Wireless network error While loading the page critical error encountered.

Hi ehirsch,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with your FVS318N. May I know what you did to show this error message? Did you just go to the Radio Settings and it did show this error? You may try to reset the firewall to factory default setting and check if it will show the same issue. 

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
ehirsch
Aspirant

I noticed the problem when I had trouble connecting devices to the wireless network.  The network was visible but it kept rejecting the network password.  I first saw the error when I went to the web client to investigate.  As I wrote, rebooting the router temporarily resolved the problem and then the error reoccurred.   I will try to reset the firewall back the factory settings and respond with the result.

Message 3 of 8
ehirsch
Aspirant

We use this router for the wireless networking function only.  It doesn't use DHCP to generate IP Addresses.  I did set the router back to factory settings and reconfigured the wireless networks. after about 15 minutes, the error came back. Then I just reloaded the backed up settings that I saved before I started. as of now 11:38 AM EST  have no error but I will look at it in a few minutes.  As off 11:49 AM still no error.An Hour later at 12:48 PM Still no error.

Message 4 of 8
ehirsch
Aspirant

Error reoccurred later this afternoon. It was there when I checked about 2 hours after my last check.  I'm leaning toward replacing the router.

Message 5 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@ehirsch,

Well, the wireless functionality of this device is just an add-on and not typically the main purpose of having wireless connectivity. It might be better if you will just use an access point to provide WLAN.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
ehirsch
Aspirant

Thanks. I just gave up on it and set up an Aruba device so we could get the wireless network accessible again.  Right now this will work for what we need. 

Message 7 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

This definitely sounds like some sort of bug in the firmware you're using as the use-case is not too common (FVS318N as access point only).

I'd try various different firmwares starting with the earliest one that will work on your version hardware.  The earliest (shipping) firmwares should be the most stable for your particular use-case, and if not, just keep going through them until you find one that is trouble free.

The other option is to use a dedicated access point device as 802.11N is much slower than the newer 802.11AC unless there are features on the FVS318N that you need for your setup.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements