Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318N discrepancy in LAN Groups database listing

DonD
Guide

FVS318N discrepancy in LAN Groups database listing

Looking at the LAN Groups database listing screenshot below you will notice  "SancSW" is listed for IP 192.168.0.226, MAC dc:ef:09:d8:08:87; and also listed as "unknown" for the same IP but for MAC dc:ef:09:ee:e1:f2.  What's going on here?  I'm certain there are not two devices on the network with that IP.

Also, look at "unknown" IP 192.168.0.227 with MAC dc:ef:09:d8:08:87.  That same MAC appears for SancSW.  What gives with that?

Capture.JPG

Thanks for any help.

DonD

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
DonD
Guide

JohnRo,

Regarding the two 192.168.0.226 entries, using the GS108E management utility, I checked the MAC of the SancSW and it is dc:ef:09:ce:19:98 and not dc:ef:09:d8:08:87.  So, I deleted the old SancSW entry in the database and then established a name SancSW on the correct database entry.  The table looks good now, however I do not trust the FVS318N "LAN Groups" database listing.  Besides the problem I just fixed, I noticed there are times when the router's wireless connections don't show up in the database, and times when they do.  Another,anomoly, When I create a specific name for an entry and get a new listing the table doesn't show the "*" for that entry when it is allocated an IP via the router's DHCP server.  I have to manually add the asterick to the name of that device.

At least it no longer shows a duplicate entry for the same IP address.  I was concerned with that problem.

Here is the new database listing:

Capture.JPG

Thanks for you help JohnRo!

Regards,

DonD

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DonD, 

I have not seen such strange behavior, was the SacSW added manually to the table? I'd like to know as well what firmware version is running on this device. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 13
DonD
Guide

Hi JohnRo!

Thanks for your response.

No, I didn't add any device manually.

The firmware version is 4.3.3-6.

DonD

Message 3 of 13
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD, 

I looked at the image you posted again just to make sure. The unknown one is not assigned by the DHCP so it's more likely a device using a static IP address. See the ones that are assigned by DHCP has an asterisk (*) on its name. You can manually delete those ones that are unknown. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 13
DonD
Guide

I tried deleting it and did another "LAN Groups" and it reappeared.  An idea why there are two entries for 192.168.0.226 but with different MAC's?

DonD

Message 5 of 13
DonD
Guide

SancSW is a GS108E network switch.

DonD

Message 6 of 13
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD, 

It's looking like there are two devices using the IP address, there are no asterisks on their names so it means that these devices have static IP address. Can you try changing the IP of the GS108E? 

Thanks, 

Message 7 of 13
DonD
Guide

I'm not at the site location.  I'll go in there tomorrow and try that.  I currently can only remotely access the router.

DonD

Message 8 of 13
DonD
Guide

JohnRo,

Regarding the two 192.168.0.226 entries, using the GS108E management utility, I checked the MAC of the SancSW and it is dc:ef:09:ce:19:98 and not dc:ef:09:d8:08:87.  So, I deleted the old SancSW entry in the database and then established a name SancSW on the correct database entry.  The table looks good now, however I do not trust the FVS318N "LAN Groups" database listing.  Besides the problem I just fixed, I noticed there are times when the router's wireless connections don't show up in the database, and times when they do.  Another,anomoly, When I create a specific name for an entry and get a new listing the table doesn't show the "*" for that entry when it is allocated an IP via the router's DHCP server.  I have to manually add the asterick to the name of that device.

At least it no longer shows a duplicate entry for the same IP address.  I was concerned with that problem.

Here is the new database listing:

Capture.JPG

Thanks for you help JohnRo!

Regards,

DonD

Message 9 of 13
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD, 

What firmware version are you running on the firewall btw?  The ones with asterisk (*) are automatically assigned by the DHCP server, manual entries does not have asterisk (*) and not necessary to have them on the name. I'm glad you found the cause of the duplicate entry. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 🙂 

Thanks, 

Message 10 of 13
DonD
Guide

JohnRo,

The firmware version is 4.3.3-6.

I am aware that the router is supposed to add * to the end of each entry name that is using DHCP IP allocation.  However, the router is not consistent in this regard for manually entered device names.  I have to add * to the end of a manually entered name that is using DHCP IP allocation because the router will not add it. It seems like managing this database list shouldn't be a big problem, as the router has all the information internally to do it correctly.  So, I have less then complete trust in it, especially after also see it list a duplicate device with the same IP address.

Thanks again for your help, JohnRo!

Regards,

DonD

Message 11 of 13
DonD
Guide

Sorry for the two previous similar replys.  Had a problem posting on my end.

DonD

Message 12 of 13
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD, 

You are welcome! It is a normal behavior for the router not to add and asterisk (*) for manually added devices on the list even if they are getting an IP on DHCP. 

Let us know if you have more questions otherwise please mark the post as solved. Thank you very much 🙂

Regards, 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements