Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318N ensuring adequate bandwidth for streaming encoder

DonD
Guide

FVS318N ensuring adequate bandwidth for streaming encoder

Well, I streamed our Sunday service this morning.  It should have been in 720p HD, but apparently the encoder automatically dropped down the resolution because of poor bandwidth.  I'm running the encoder via Ethernet through several GS108E units with the path set to QoS high priority.  I have the router running a QoS with "Rate Control" specific to the IP adr of the encoder.  The network is running 3 VLAN's, one is secure for staff, another is secure for special meetings, and a 3rd is open for WiFi guests. I'm guessing someone was logged into the guest network and watching a video or something consuming high bandwidth.  There are homes within reach of the network access-points.  We want the guest VLAN operational during Sunday morning so members can use it if they wish. But, I want a minimum bandwidth available for the encoder at all times.  I thought I had the QoS profile set up to do this, but I'm beginning to think my thinking is backwards on my use of QoS.  Sure could use some help!  See the attached network configuration diagram, and router screenshots relating to bandwidth and QoS.

Thanks much,

DonDNew Network Configuration 042416 temp.jpg

7g.JPG

7f.JPG

7g.JPG

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
DonD
Guide

Well, all I can say is Whew!!!  I had a flawless stream this morning at church.  The encoder was provided with the proper constant bandwidth to ensure an HD broadcast.  Looks like the things I did that I mentioned in the previous post did the trick!  By the way, I also changed the Outbound and Inbound Minimum bandwidth in the Bandwidth Profile to 5000 Kbps.  The streaming encoder I'm using is Livestream.com's Broadcaster Pro.  I'm putting some large stick-on feet on the bottom of it to ensure there is adequate space under it for ventalation, as it gets hot on the top and bottom.  And, we will keep it away from heat sources.  I'm considering this problem solved, and I thank DaneA and JohnRo for their assistance.

Regards,

DonD

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
DonD
Guide

I forgot to mention that the streaming encoder needs 5 Mb of bandwidth.  Our contracted downstream speed is 50 Mb, and our upstream speed is 10 Mb.

DonD

Message 2 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Does same problem occur if you try to connect the Livestream Broadcaster Pro Streaming Encoder to one of the available LAN ports of the FSV318N? 

b. What is the current firmware version of the FVS318N as well as the GS108E switch/es? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 17
DonD
Guide

Hi DaneA,

Thanks for your reply!

No I haven't tried the encoder anywhere else yet.  Guess I wouldn't think it would matter if I had the switches QoS settings set right and the router's QoS profile set right for the encoder (192.168.0.240). 

The router is running firmware version 4.3.3-6 .  The GS108EV3 switches are running firmware version 2.00.07 .

Do you think I have the router QoS profile for the encoder setup properly with a minimum of 10000 Kbps and maximum of 15000 Kbps, even though it only needs 5 Kbps?  I wonder if I need to lower that minimum to zero?

Thanks,

DonD

Message 4 of 17
DonD
Guide

Correction on that last comment of mine - the encoder needs 5000 Kbps bandwidth.

Message 5 of 17
DonD
Guide

I meant to include the "Broadband Advanced Options" screenshot, but posted 2 shots of the "Edit QoS" screen instead.  Here it is.

2b.JPG

Message 6 of 17
DonD
Guide

I did some reading in the router manual.  Boy, QoS and bandwidth management sure is complicated.  Noticed I did not set up a firewall rule to associate with the QoS profile. So, now I have an outgoing and incoming rule both associated to a QoS profile.  Is is necessary to setup a QoS profile under "Network Configuration/QoS" and "Security/Services/QoS Profiles"?

Message 7 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

I think that one way to ensure that the adequate bandwidth is met for the Livestream Broadcaster Pro Streaming Encoder is by trying to connect it directly to one of the LAN ports of the FSV318N then capture the packets in real time using the Packet Capture Tool.  To access the Packet Capture Tool on the web-GUI of the FVS318N, go to Monitoring > Diagnostics then on the Diagnostics page see the Router Options.  Once you have started the packet capture, at the same time begin to stream videos through the Livestream Broadcaster Pro Streaming Encoder connected to one of the LAN ports of the FSV318N.  

For the packet capture to be analyzed, I suggest you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support then let them know about your concern.  Attach the packet capture on the online case you have opened for it to be analyzed by the engineering team. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 8 of 17
DonD
Guide

Great ideas, DaneA!

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

DonD

Message 9 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD, 

If ever you have already opened an online case, keep us posted.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 17
DonD
Guide

DaneA,

I've decided not to open a support ticket, as the church can't affort the Netgear Support plan.  The unit is older than 90 days now, so it doesn't quality for complementary support.  So, I'm try to figure this out with the help of this community.  See my new post titled "FVS318N - QoS or Bandwidth Profile?".  I would appreciate any help you and any others can provide.

Thanks much!

DonD

Message 11 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

In relation to the QoS setup on the FVS318N, I think you'll need to create a firewall rule (for example: an outbound rule against IP of the encoder 192.168.0.240) and to that rule then he can assign a QoS Profile and also a Bandwidth profile to ensure the encoder has the required bandwidth. In the FVS318N reference manual see page 173 onwards here.

Hope it helps. 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 17
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DonD, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 13 of 17
DonD
Guide

Well, here is the surprise!  In my struggle to get adequate reserved bandwidth for the encoder, I noticed the overall bandwidth on the router LAN ports was diminishing, to the point where it was only about 3 Mbps down and about the same for the up speed.  I ran with that rate for a couple days so I know it wasn't just a temporary thing.  I checked the ISP bandwidth by putting the laptop right on the modem output and it was always 50 down and 10 up, which are exactly what we are buying from our ISP.

In my desperation, I decided to make a config file of my settings, then restore the router to factory settings.  I then, using that config file, restored my settings.  And, WALA!, the router LAN port outputs were showing 47 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up, very close to what I would expect.  This indicates to me that the embedded routing software code the rounter creates as a result of each configuration change/addition becomes defective and suffers from reduced performance.  So, we did a stream of our Sunday service last Sunday and it was holding very close to the 2 Mbps needed for the upstream.  It held for almost the entire service, then near the end it suddenly dropped to around 600 Kbps, which is too low to support HD streaming at 720p.  Now, I did have the Guest VLAN enabled during the service, and someone might have attempted an upload or something, but I would think that if I have the Outbound and Inbound rules, their referenced QoS Profile, and Bandwidth Profile all set properly, that should have guaranteed bandwidth for the encoder regardless of activity on the Guest VLAN. 

I would appreciate anyone's help with this, as I would like to be done with this once and for all.  Here are screenshots of the router showing how I have it configured relative to this discussion.

Thanks for any help,

DonD

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Note, the Guest VLAN is only blocked during church office business hours to maximize staff performance.

We don't want it blocked on Sunday, as we want members to be able to use it before and after the service.

I expected that the QoS Profile and Bandwidth Profile would guarantee the encoder would have adequate

bandwidth regardless of Guest activity.

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

7.jpg

I don't understand if I really need the following 2 configuration shots, as I already setup a QoS Profile under Security Services.  Any ideas???

8.jpg

9.jpg

End of screenshots --

Message 14 of 17
DonD
Guide

Yesterday, I eliminated the QoS settings under Network Configuration and ran a long streaming test with only the 2 streaming security rules and their corresponding QoS Profile and Bandwidth Profile services.  Everything went well for almost an hour, then the streaming encoder indicated it didn't have enough bandwidth.  I did notice the encoder was very hot.  I noticed I had it placed right next to the laptop such that the laptop's fan vent blew hot air right on the encoder.  So, I moved it away and ran another long test for over an hour with no problems.  I will be running a stream tomorrow morning at our church service, so we will see how it goes.  I will also have my laptop on line to run Wireshark to get network packet captures, should the problem arise again.

I will report back here in a few days with my findings.

DonD

Message 15 of 17
DonD
Guide

Well, all I can say is Whew!!!  I had a flawless stream this morning at church.  The encoder was provided with the proper constant bandwidth to ensure an HD broadcast.  Looks like the things I did that I mentioned in the previous post did the trick!  By the way, I also changed the Outbound and Inbound Minimum bandwidth in the Bandwidth Profile to 5000 Kbps.  The streaming encoder I'm using is Livestream.com's Broadcaster Pro.  I'm putting some large stick-on feet on the bottom of it to ensure there is adequate space under it for ventalation, as it gets hot on the top and bottom.  And, we will keep it away from heat sources.  I'm considering this problem solved, and I thank DaneA and JohnRo for their assistance.

Regards,

DonD

Message 16 of 17
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

You're welcome! 🙂  I'm very glad that the problem has been resolved.  

I appreciate that you shared your experience and the steps you've done to resolve the problem here in the community.  This will serve as reference for other community members. 🙂 

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements