Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318N, only one computer not allowed to connect with RDP.

platothelapdog
Aspirant

FVS318N, only one computer not allowed to connect with RDP.

Hello, 

I have the strangest issue. I a few netgear vpn firewalls. Recently some clients moved to a new location, so I bought a FVS318N and set up 8 seperate inbound services to direct to a RDP Port to a

machine on the network. Everything worked fine. However the last machine I migrated to the new domain, assigned a static IP, checked the DNS of the unit and checked NETSTAT to endure the

machine was listening on the correct port, added firewall exceptions and whammo! Nothing.  Changed the port to another higher level port, changed in the registy again and rebooted. Done everything

I can think of and the unit will not connect. 

Anyone had an issue like this? I've read the manual and I do not see a limit to the number of incoming services that the FVS318n can support. I am stuck and not sure what else it could be. Right now the client is using teamViewer to connect to the machine and it works, but they do not like it. I know I could use VPN for them as well, but for now I want to nail this issue. I don't want to wipe the computer and start over to see if it was weird MS thing, but if I have no hits here, maybe I will have too.

Thank you in advance to all and anyone who assist me.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
platothelapdog
Aspirant

Well, after trying EVERYTHING I have, including resetting the device, I replaced it with another Router of the exact same model. And I reprogrammed it all from scratch.

Everything worked right away. Not sure I can test my theory since the new device and old device were both added and removed from a  working site but, I believe that

the firmware update I did on this machine was to blame. All progrmmed port forwarded services prior to the firmware flash worked, and the last two I tried to add after

the flash and a month later did not.  I wish I could just reset the old FVS318N to factory and slap it in again but i want no distrutions. I will perhapd take it home or use

it in my homelab to mess around with.

Thanks for all the advice, this is solved. Solution: replace the device.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
SamirD
Prodigy

I would try the following tests:

- try to rdp into the system from the lan and see if it works.  If it doesn't, it's something on that desktop

- swap that system into the spot of another system that is working correctly.  If this works, it's something with the setup in the router for that last service.  If it doesn't work, I'm a bit baffled and you may be right about some sort of services limit.

Message 2 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi platothelapdog,

As a follow-up to the suggested steps given by SamirD, kindly post screenshots of the firewall rules and other settings you have configured to isolate the problem.  

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 9
adit
Mentor

It is foolish to have RDP available over the Internet.

You should have them use the VPN, either SSL or IPSec.

Message 4 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

Well, it depends.  There could be other layers of security after the rdp login.  There could be a second lan.  There's all sorts of way around the inherit security issues.

Message 5 of 9
platothelapdog
Aspirant

Well, after trying EVERYTHING I have, including resetting the device, I replaced it with another Router of the exact same model. And I reprogrammed it all from scratch.

Everything worked right away. Not sure I can test my theory since the new device and old device were both added and removed from a  working site but, I believe that

the firmware update I did on this machine was to blame. All progrmmed port forwarded services prior to the firmware flash worked, and the last two I tried to add after

the flash and a month later did not.  I wish I could just reset the old FVS318N to factory and slap it in again but i want no distrutions. I will perhapd take it home or use

it in my homelab to mess around with.

Thanks for all the advice, this is solved. Solution: replace the device.

Message 6 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi platothelapdog,

I am glad that replacing the router with the exact same model has resolved the problem.  Smiley Happy

About the old FVS318N, you may contact NETGEAR Support then open a case and have the old FVS318N be replaced.  Be reminded that the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the old FVS318N might be asked from you for verification if the old FVS318N is within hardware warranty.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

So the lesson here is never upgrade the firmware unless you absolutely need to. And when upgrading be sure to factory default the router prior to updating firmware, and then rebuild the configuration from scratch.
Message 8 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @SamirD,

@SamirD wrote:
And when upgrading be sure to factory default the router prior to updating firmware, and then rebuild the configuration from scratch.

I think that factory reset procedure should be done after updating the firmware. Its because it gives you a clean setup on the firmware version being used. As well as some enhancements and/or bug fixes of the firmware version cannot be obtained without a factory reset.  This is just my humble opinion. Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements