Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS336G VPN setup for Mac or IOS, which config?

genesearch
Aspirant

FVS336G VPN setup for Mac or IOS, which config?

I am revisiting my failed attempt to set up VPN from last year,  even Netgear support couldnt get it to work.

Now I am starting with a clean slate

I need to permit both Iphones and Mac Os clients connect via a VPN to my FVS336Gv3 with latest firmware.  I dont really care what policies, protocols, are used, I just want something to work (we are not a bank).

I am reading both these articles:

https://kb.netgear.com/25836/How-to-Setup-VPN-with-NETGEAR-Firewall-and-iPhone-iPad

https://kb.netgear.com/24242/Mac-OS-X-VPN-Client-install-with-ProSAFE-VPN-Firewall-Router

However they are inconsistent with the configuration information.

ModeConfig :  IOS YES,   Mac NO

Encryption Algorithm:  IOS IES128,  Mac 3DES

XAuth Config:  IOS Edge Device,   Mac NONE

Surely for a simple VPN,  the configuration should be the same.  So maybe one of the articles are wrong, and thats why I am having trouble.   Which one should I  trust?

Message 1 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi genesearch,

If you are going to use some IPhone and IPad devices, the 1st article might help you setting up those. The 2nd article was actually for IP securitas software. You may try the VPN tracker for MAC computers as a 3rd party app and even the built-in app will work on NETGEAR but you may need to use the 1st article in order to do that.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
genesearch
Aspirant

Thanks, I have followed the setup for Mac OSX and its working this time

(completely failed a year ago,  but that doenst matter now)

Apple file sharing (bonjour) doesnt work though, and as best I can tell its not supported.  So need to enable SMB on the file sharing, which is a shame.  Howver there are other network resources I use that also rely on Bonjour, but I will just have to work around these or just live with it.

Message 3 of 8
taco850
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. The setup information in article references FVS336G V2. Is there information for FVS336G V3? I tried IPSecuritas 4.7 and it doesn't work. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Message 4 of 8
genesearch
Aspirant

I am using V3 and IP Securitas 4.6.1 (because i am testing on OSX 10.10) and it works.

What is your error?

Message 5 of 8
taco850
Aspirant

Debug    IKE  chkph1there: no established ph1 handler found

Message 6 of 8
taco850
Aspirant

Also, IOS OS X 10.12.5

Message 7 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@taco850,

If it stucks on ph 1, the VPN client cannot contact the VPN server. You may try to use VPN Tracker as a 3rd party app or try to use the built-in app for you MAC OS X. Please follow the 1st article posted.

Welcome to our community!

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements