Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS336G stuck on yellow "Test"

thorsbro
Aspirant

FVS336G stuck on yellow "Test"

Hi Netgear Forum,

I have a FVS336G and I experience that some times the router stops functioning and when I look at the router the yellow "test" light is on.

Sometimes it goes away after 5-10 mins. Other times i have to restart the router to get it back online. Trouble is that after restart it might get stuck on the yellow "test" light, and again after 5-10 mins I may need to restart it another time. This process can go for a little while untill I finally get a restart where the test lights go out after a few mins.

Can anyone explain what is going on, and why the router at times suddenly goes into this "test" mode? When it is in test mode I can not ping it nor connect to it.
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: FVS336G stuck on yellow "Test"

if you power up the router , it can take few minutes detect and negotiate the connection on WAN. Time takes to fully boot up is usually WAN related.

what is broadband type. symptom do seen on cable services as IP may on WAN becomes private IP instead of public IP from the ISP. since you can not ping or login router interface I have to assume.

try upload latest firmware and

1 hard reset the router after flashing firmware
2. do NOT restore router config file . Manually configure

see how that goes
Message 2 of 10
thorsbro
Aspirant

It seems to be WAN related.

The WAN1 'ACTIVE' LED is Amber color meaning that the WAN connection is down, and the router is trying to do a "fail over". I have set it to use one WAN port only, so shouldn't it just say that it has no internet connection instead of going into this "no response" mode?

I find it odd that I can not connect to the router while this is going on. The LAN ports are all green.

Oh and I forgot to mention that it is a FVS336v1, and I have the newest firmware update on it.
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

thorsbro wrote:
It seems to be WAN related.

The WAN1 'ACTIVE' LED is Amber color meaning that the WAN connection is down, and the router is trying to do a "fail over". I have set it to use one WAN port only, so shouldn't it just say that it has no internet connection instead of going into this "no response" mode?

I find it odd that I can not connect to the router while this is going on. The LAN ports are all green.

Oh and I forgot to mention that it is a FVS336v1, and I have the newest firmware update on it.

make sure when you flash newest firmware from older firmware, HARD RESET and manually configure first.
Message 4 of 10
thorsbro
Aspirant

It so happens that my old firewall broke down, and I then sent it in to support and they sent me a new back. Nice support. 🙂

I started by updating the firmware, and then I manually reconfigured the firewall. But do you think I will benefit from doing a "factory reset" and redo the configuration?

Thank you for the fast replies.
Message 5 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

thorsbro wrote:
It so happens that my old firewall broke down, and I then sent it in to support and they sent me a new back. Nice support. 🙂

I started by updating the firmware, and then I manually reconfigured the firewall. But do you think I will benefit from doing a "factory reset" and redo the configuration?

Thank you for the fast replies.

if you don't hard reset after the flashing firmware /manually configure, you should not need to do factory reset from GUI .

my fvs336g now sits behind my lab networks for all the testing and seems all working fine.

what are u seeing in the router gui when it happens? WAN shows 0.0.0.0?
Message 6 of 10
thorsbro
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
what are u seeing in the router gui when it happens? WAN shows 0.0.0.0?

I can not connect to the router. It is completely unresponsive until the "test" that is amber color turns off. Then I can connect and see that the WAN is not up yet, but after a little while when it is done initializing and negotiating IP everything works fine again.

It is like something makes it crash, and then it recovers by itself.
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I used to see WAN with Amber that lock router because of loss of broadband. I'm on comcast and both FVX58, FVS336 did same in older older firmware. right now I use UTM

I'm not certain if I still had issues when I drop the these model to UTM year ago. seems I may had less experience. I don't recall on single WAN setup with somehow it fail over to WAN2 when you are not using it.

I know when I had issue with amber, comcast either had service issue and dish out p private ip on wan. that usually made the router unresponsive until the the broadband is restored.

If WAN gets 0.0.0.0 instead of private IP in my case with "comcast" I was able to login the router.
Message 8 of 10
adit
Mentor

When the Test light is on the router is not accessible. It means that it is in the boot process. Until the light is out, you won't be able to access it via IP.
Message 9 of 10
toolman98
Aspirant

Mine is permanently stuck on "test" since attempting to upgrade to firmware 3.0.7-24. I was stupid and wasn't thinking when i attempted to upgrade over wireless. A $20 RMA lesson for me. 😞
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements