Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS336GV2 fw upgrade can settings be saved?

crown
Aspirant

FVS336GV2 fw upgrade can settings be saved?

I have a  FVS336GV2 running fw 3.1.1.08 and have been told to update to the latest 4.x.x.x fw.

When I do this and try to restore the saved settings they will not restore under the new firmware.

Is there anyway to save and restore at least the services and firewall settings (and hopefully the vpn) without having to re type each and everyone? I am guesing that somehow the cli would allow settings to be saved and restored but am not that eduvated on the cli workings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 1 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

No, this is not possible between different firmware versions, and is not recommended even with the [i]same[/i] firmware versions.

Save your settings either via screenshots or I believe the config is a txt file that you should be able to decipher to set up your settings again.  Default your router once your settings are saved, update the firmware, default it again, and then start to rebuild your configuration.  And for the record, this isn't just for netgear products, but for other brands as well.

Message 2 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @crown,

I agree with @SamirD.  The configuration file of the FVS336Gv2 that was backed up using firmware v3.1.1-08 cannot be restored to the FVS336Gv2 that is upgraded to firmware v4.x.x.  Also, there are no CLI commands documented that would allow to restore the configuration file of the FVS336Gv2 that was backed up using firmware v3.1.1-08 to the FVS336Gv2 that is upgraded firmware v4.x.x

You may want to save a screenshot of every setting configured on the FVS336Gv2 that was using firmware v3.1.1-08 so that you can have a reference when you reconfigure the FVS336Gv2 from scratch after upgrading the firmware to v4.x.x. 

Take note that it is best to perform a factory reset on the FVS336Gv2 after upgrading / downgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the firmware version uploaded.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@crown,

Just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
crown
Aspirant

DaneA,

Thanks for the reply. It is frustrating to have to manually reenter a configuration with major fw upgrades. I was hoping thewre was a way to manually back up (most of the settings using the cli and then do a batch type reload. I assume the cli has not changed with various firmwares.

Model: WAGR614|54Mbps Wireless Firewall Router
Message 5 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

It can be a bit of a pain, but remember, this isn't just with Netgear products as I've had to do the exact same with the Cisco rv-series as well as other devices.  It's just kind of in the nature of how the new firmware changes the way the device operates and how the saved parameters from one firmware are incompatible with another version.  Like how different versions of word have different file formats that may or not be compatible.  Luckily, you can see what is different since it's a document you can see--but imagine the invisible problems that can happen with firmware data.

Message 6 of 8
train_wreck
Luminary

Just to add, this problem generally does not occurr on enterprise level equipment (such as Cisco ISRs, Juniper SRX firewalls, etc.). The FVS devices were declared end-of-life last month, and are no longer receiving updates for bugs or security.

Message 7 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

And it is also important to note that an enterprise service agreement for just one year costs more than an fvs series router.

It's a matter of 'you get what you pay for'.  And while there the fvs series isn't perfect, it does provide a lot of value for the dollar when they work well.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements