Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS336GV3 will not allow connection from Dell Latitude E5570

Breezin2017
Aspirant

FVS336GV3 will not allow connection from Dell Latitude E5570

I'm having a very strange problem with my FVS336GV3 (firmware version 4.3.5-3)

I have two Dell laptops sitting side by side both connected to the FVS336GV3 through ports 2 and 3 and both connecting to a TP-Link AC1750 wireless access point that is hanging off of port 4 on the FVS336GV3.

The older Latitude D630 has no problem connecting to the internet either wired or wireless.  However the new Latitude E5570 will not connect through either.  Since the TP-Link is hanging off the FVS336GV3, I assume it's the same problem for both the wired and wireless connections so I'm just troubleshooting the wired connection for now.

What's really strange is that this same E5570, which is my primary laptop, will connect to other FVS336GV3's (running older firmware versions) as well as any other wired or wireless network I try to connect to.  I have 2 offices and one other residence all using the same model FVS336GV3 and the E5570 has worked flawlessly on all of them for months.

I've tried switching cables, ports, just about every variation I can think of and the D630 always works but the E5570 will not.  Both machines are running Windows 7 fully updated.

On the E5570, in the Local Area Connection Status window, when I click the "Diagnose" button, Windows returns one of two messages:

1) "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding., OR

2) Something like "Your broadband modem does not appear to be working.  Reboot the modem and try again."

In every case I have the D630 sitting right next to the failing E5570 and it's humming along without any internet connectivity issues - wired or wireless.

I also have an ATT Microcell hanging off the router on Port 1 and it's working flawlessly as well.

I know there must be some sort of conflict between the E5570's Intel NIC and this specific FVS336GV3, but I have no idea what to try next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Breezin2017
Aspirant

HI again Dane,
So I got home from work and set up my laptop to download the older firmware version to my router and was shocked to find that I had an internet connection through the router.  Both the wired and the wireless were working and after resetting the VPN policies my VPN is working now as well.

My router is currently showing the newest firmware version, so clearly the downgrade did not occur when it failed to load yesterday.  I can't imagine what combination of events triggered this to start working, but I'm sure part of it had to do with the cable company recognizing my router through their modem.  I was told once before that a modem reboot is required when new devices are plugged in, but I had rebooted it several times yesterday without any success.

If I had to guess, it was probably a combination of the reset to factory defaults combined with some overnight event that had to occur.
Anyway, thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.  I don't think I would have seen it through if you hadn't kept suggesting things.
Have a good weekend.
Frank

@Breezin2017 wrote:
The firmware version I downloaded was 4.3.2-7 (it was the only other firmware version I could easily find).
The version on my office router is 4.3.1-14.
After I got to the office this morning I did look up that older firmware version and found it on the Netgear site.  I will try that version this evening, but I'm not optimistic.

Frank

@DaneA wrote:

@Breezin2017,

What is the specific firmware version of the FVS336Gv3 have you downloaded?  Is this the same firmware version of the FVS336Gv3 deployed at your office?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Breezin2017,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Have you tried to set a static IP address to the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop that is within the local IP range of the FVS336Gv3 and check if you are able to go online either wired or wireless?  If not yet, kindly try to set a static IP address as well as static DNS to your Dell Latitude E5570 laptop.

b. Have you tried to update the software driver of the wired & wireless NIC card of the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 13
Breezin2017
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response Dane.  See my answers below...
@DaneA wrote:

Hi Breezin2017,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Have you tried to set a static IP address to the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop that is within the local IP range of the FVS336Gv3 and check if you are able to go online either wired or wireless?  If not yet, kindly try to set a static IP address as well as static DNS to your Dell Latitude E5570 laptop.

Yes, I have tried every combination of setting static IP's within the local IP range and specifying the DNS IP's.

b. Have you tried to update the software driver of the wired & wireless NIC card of the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop?

Yes, I've updated the software driver for both NIC's to their latest versions as well as the firmware on the router.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

What really makes this problem strange is that I use this laptop connected to another FVS336G at my office every day and it works fine.  The only difference I could find there is that my office router still has an older firmware version.

And I'm connected to the internet with this laptop right now only because I'm bypassing the router and connecting directly to the cable modem.

And then there's my older Dell which connects through the router just fine, not to mention my WAP, my microcell and my DVD box.

At this point, since my laptop works on literally every other network I have used it on, I have to believe there is some minor flaw either in this router or the firmware update.  But any other suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Frank

Message 3 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Breezin2017,

Kindly try the steps below:

1. Disable the WLAN NIC card of the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop for the meantime.

2. Connect the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop directly to a LAN port of your FVS336Gv3 at your home.  Set its LAN NIC card to "Obtain IP Address Automatically."

3. Observe the LED lights of the LAN port of the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop as well as the LED lights of the LAN port of the FVS336Gv3 where the laptop is directly connected. 

4. Check if the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop obtained an IP address from the FVS336Gv3.  

Note: If ever the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop won't obtain an IP address from the FVS336Gv3, set a static IP address that is within the LAN IP range of your FVS336Gv3 at your home then proceed with the steps below.

5. If ever it obtained an IP address from the FVS336Gv3, open the command prompt and check if you can get replies when you ping the LAN IP Address of your FVS336Gv3.  Also, check if you can get replies when you ping a website (for example: google.com or yahoo.com).  

Note: If you are not able to ping a website, set a static DNS to your Dell Latitude E5570 laptop.  You may use Google DNS such as 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.  

Here are my questions below:

a. What is the behavior of the LED lights of the LAN port of the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop as well as the LED lights of the LAN port of the FVS336Gv3 where the laptop is directly connected? 

b. Did the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop obtained an IP address from the FVS336Gv3? 

c. Are you able to get replies when you ping the LAN IP Address of your FVS336Gv3?  

d. Are you able to get replies when you ping a website? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 13
Breezin2017
Aspirant

Dane, 
Thanks for the follow-up but still not working.
I had tried most of what you suggested but I went through the steps again just to be sure.  See my individual responses below.  I really appreciate the troubleshooting help - this is such a bizarre issue.
Frank

@DaneA wrote:

@Breezin2017,

Kindly try the steps below:

1. Disable the WLAN NIC card of the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop for the meantime.

2. Connect the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop directly to a LAN port of your FVS336Gv3 at your home.  Set its LAN NIC card to "Obtain IP Address Automatically."

3. Observe the LED lights of the LAN port of the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop as well as the LED lights of the LAN port of the FVS336Gv3 where the laptop is directly connected. 

4. Check if the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop obtained an IP address from the FVS336Gv3.  

Yes it is assigned the address 192.168.4.104.  I have three other locations with VPN's so I distinguish them with the third octal (ie: 192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x, etc.)

My other working D630 laptop is currently connected with IP 192.168.4.109.

Note: If ever the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop won't obtain an IP address from the FVS336Gv3, set a static IP address that is within the LAN IP range of your FVS336Gv3 at your home then proceed with the steps below.  Not an issue.

5. If ever it obtained an IP address from the FVS336Gv3, open the command prompt and check if you can get replies when you ping the LAN IP Address of your FVS336Gv3.  Also, check if you can get replies when you ping a website (for example: google.com or yahoo.com).  

Yes, I can successfully ping the LAN gateway (192.168.4.1), but not any IP addresses.  For example, if I ping Google, it resolves to IP 172.217.6.78 but all of the replies time out.

Note: If you are not able to ping a website, set a static DNS to your Dell Latitude E5570 laptop.  You may use Google DNS such as 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.  

When I tried this, Google.com no longer resolved to an IP address and the Ping failed.  When I tried pinging the Google IP directly, I still get all timeouts.

Here are my questions below:

a. What is the behavior of the LED lights of the LAN port of the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop as well as the LED lights of the LAN port of the FVS336Gv3 where the laptop is directly connected?  Connection lights all come on and blink when there is activity (ie: pinging, etc).

b. Did the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop obtained an IP address from the FVS336Gv3?  Yes it is assigned the address 192.168.4.104. 

c. Are you able to get replies when you ping the LAN IP Address of your FVS336Gv3?  Yes.

d. Are you able to get replies when you ping a website?  No.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Breezin2017,

Thanks for the feedback.  As far as I have checked, there is no issue reported yet between the FVS336Gv3 and any Dell Laptop just like as described here on this thread.  Kindly try to reset the FVS336Gv3 at your home back to factory default settings.  Then reconfigure it from scratch and check if you will be able to go online when you connect the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop directly to any LAN port of the FVS336Gv3.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Breezin2017,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to factory reset the FVS336Gv3 at your home and reconfigure it from scratch?  If yes, were you able to go online when you connect the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop directly to any LAN port of the FVS336Gv3 at your home?

What is the current firmware version of the FVS336Gv3 at your office?  

If ever still the same problem, I suggest let us try to downgrade the firmware of your FVS336Gv3 at your home to the same firmware version as the FVS336Gv3 at your office to further isolate the problem.  Be sure to factory reset the FVS336Gv3 at your home after downgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the uploaded firmware version.  Check if you will be able to go online when you connect the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop (as well as your older Dell Latitude D630 laptop) directly to any LAN port of the FVS336Gv3 at your home.  

You can download the available firmware versions for the FVS336Gv3 on this link.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 13
Breezin2017
Aspirant

Hi Dane,
Thanks for following up.  I finally had time to try a factory reset this evening and now the router will no longer pick up an address from my cable modem which was definitely not the problem I was having before.  After the factory reset, I didn't change any settings because I wanted to make sure the router was able to connect to the internet via my cable modem before trying anything else.  Alas, that functionality appears to be gone now as well.

I don't have the firmware version of my office router since I'm at home, but I did note a few weeks back that it is an older version.  I followed the link and it looks like there may only be one older version of the firmware available for download, so I'm trying that now.  I'll let you know if that helps but honestly, it's beginning to look like this router is a lemon.
Frank

@DaneA wrote:

@Breezin2017,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to factory reset the FVS336Gv3 at your home and reconfigure it from scratch?  If yes, were you able to go online when you connect the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop directly to any LAN port of the FVS336Gv3 at your home?

If ever still the same problem, I suggest let us try to downgrade the firmware of your FVS336Gv3 at your home to the same firmware version as the FVS336Gv3 at your office to further isolate the problem.  Be sure to factory reset the FVS336Gv3 at your home after downgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the uploaded firmware version.  Check if you will be able to go online when you connect the Dell Latitude E5570 laptop (as well as your older Dell Latitude D630 laptop) directly to any LAN port of the FVS336Gv3 at your home.  

You can download the available firmware versions for the FVS336Gv3 on this link.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 13
Breezin2017
Aspirant

Hi Dane,
As a second follow up to your reply, I downloaded the older firmware version and attempted to "upgrade" my router to the older version.  After uploading the file to the router, the page responded with "Firmware file is invalid or corrupted".  Of course, I re-downloaded the file from the site and attempted the firmware downgrade a second time with the same results.

If you have any other suggestions, I'll take them, but I've got enough time into this that I think the only resolution is to return and replace.
Thanks,
Frank

@DaneA wrote:

@Breezin2017,

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Breezin2017,

What is the specific firmware version of the FVS336Gv3 have you downloaded?  Is this the same firmware version of the FVS336Gv3 deployed at your office?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 13
Breezin2017
Aspirant

The firmware version I downloaded was 4.3.2-7 (it was the only other firmware version I could easily find).
After I got to the office this morning I did look up that older firmware version and found it on the Netgear site.  I will try that version this evening, but I'm not optimistic.

Frank

@DaneA wrote:

@Breezin2017,

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 11 of 13
Breezin2017
Aspirant

HI again Dane,
So I got home from work and set up my laptop to download the older firmware version to my router and was shocked to find that I had an internet connection through the router.  Both the wired and the wireless were working and after resetting the VPN policies my VPN is working now as well.

My router is currently showing the newest firmware version, so clearly the downgrade did not occur when it failed to load yesterday.  I can't imagine what combination of events triggered this to start working, but I'm sure part of it had to do with the cable company recognizing my router through their modem.  I was told once before that a modem reboot is required when new devices are plugged in, but I had rebooted it several times yesterday without any success.

If I had to guess, it was probably a combination of the reset to factory defaults combined with some overnight event that had to occur.
Anyway, thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.  I don't think I would have seen it through if you hadn't kept suggesting things.
Have a good weekend.
Frank

@Breezin2017 wrote:

Frank

@DaneA wrote:

@Breezin2017,

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Breezin2017,

Thanks for the update.  I'm happy to know that you are now able to go online through the FVS336Gv3 using the latest firmware version on your Dell Latitude E5570 laptop. 🙂 

Since it is now working, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements