Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS336Gv2 fw 4.3.1-18 Bandwidth Policy vs QOS Rate Control

wispman
Aspirant

FVS336Gv2 fw 4.3.1-18 Bandwidth Policy vs QOS Rate Control

This is my first post to this forum. As my user name suggests, I operate a private WISP serving Internet to an area 5 miles beyond DSL service via 5.8 GHz microwave. I have 2 DSL services at the gateway, hence the use of the FVS336Gv2 dual WAN router.

I was using the original firmware 3.0.6-28 for 3 years until I started having problems thought to be associated with the router. I upgraded to firmware 4.3.1-18 in June 2014 which is requiring manual configuration of all settings, a lengthy process just now undertaken. In the meantime our WISP is served with only one DSL connection. Bandwidth control is temporarily being done through the radio network and numerous DD-WRT firmware routers, one at each remote node.

One of the problems in serving a WISP is controlling and monitoring bandwidth to various clients. I was using the Bandwidth Profile feature in FW 3.0.6-28. FW 4.3.1-18 has a very nice added addition allowing a QOS "Rate Control" option allowing bandwidth to be set for each individual LAN IP. Also new in 4.3.1-18 is a traffic meter for each individual LAN client.

My question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using "Bandwidth Profile" vs. "QOS with Rate Control" to control bandwidth on LAN clients?

Thank you in advance for any expert advice. My apologies if this somewhere already addressed but I could not find it.
Message 1 of 1
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements