Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS336Gv3 - IPv6 throughput slower than IPv4

train_wreck
Luminary

FVS336Gv3 - IPv6 throughput slower than IPv4

So the datasheet lists the FVS336Gv3 as having a "LAN-to-WAN Throughput" of 350mbps, with an asterisk of "Actual performance may vary depending on network traffic and environment".

I am discovering that while IPv4 traffic is indeed approaching the 350mbps number, IPv6 seems to level off at around 60-65mbps. I have tested this using both statically configured IPv6 subnets for WAN and LAN, as well as my home Comcast connection which delivers around 180mbps download for both v4 and v6 on their dual-stack configuration.

Is this confirmed limitation of the device?

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
train_wreck
Luminary

I know this topic is old, but I finally got a response from Netgear on my support case about this & figured I would post here. This is a confirmed hardware limitation of the device; it does not have hardware offload for IPv6 traffic. As such, there is no solution at this time. Only solution would be a new hardware design. (Kind of disappointing for a ~$225 "business" device.) As always, thanks to JohnRo and the mods for their time.

Moving on....

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi train_wreck,

This is interesting to try however, I currently do not have an IPv6 internet connection and an FVS336Gv3 to verify this concern.  May I know, what is the current firmware version of your FVS336Gv3?  Kindly post image/s or screenshot/s that shows that the IPv6 connection level off around 60-65Mbps.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
train_wreck
Luminary

Firmware 4.3.3-6.

Here's a speed test from the Comcast speed test servers, using my main Ubiquiti router:

Here is the same test with the Netgear router in place; nothing else about the network changed:

I have iperf numbers measured from 2 laptops with static IPv6 addresses configured, and connected through the Netgear's WAN and LAN interfaces. Those numbers show the same kind of results: ~340mbps of transfer over IPv4, ~63mbps over IPv6.

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello train_wreck, 

I did a little search on our repository but I was not able to see further information about the IPv6 speed for the firewall. I am also thinking that it could be a hardware limitation or just a firmware issue. Please open a ticket with our Support Team, we can create a bug/issue ticket and forward it to engineering to confirm if this is a limitation or not. 

I look forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 6
train_wreck
Luminary

I know this topic is old, but I finally got a response from Netgear on my support case about this & figured I would post here. This is a confirmed hardware limitation of the device; it does not have hardware offload for IPv6 traffic. As such, there is no solution at this time. Only solution would be a new hardware design. (Kind of disappointing for a ~$225 "business" device.) As always, thanks to JohnRo and the mods for their time.

Moving on....

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi train_wreck,

I appreciate that you have posted an update about this topic.  It is now clear that the FVS336Gv3 does not have hardware offload for IPv6 traffic and this is a confirmed hardware limitation of the device. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements