Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS336Gv3 - L2TP/IPsec on Windows 10

Arronj
Aspirant

FVS336Gv3 - L2TP/IPsec on Windows 10

I have a Windows Server running RRAS with PPTP. The FVS forwards this with no problem. 

The problem is we now need to move to L2TP. I have created this on the Windows server, and from within the LAN, a client machine (my laptop) can connect directly to the server(using the internal server name). But as soon as I go outside the network it doesn't work (using external address). 

We do have a site to site IP SEC VPN running between this FVS and one in another site. I hope this isn't causing the problem??

I have forwarded UDP 500, 4500, 1701 and pretty much every other port in desperation. I have enabled L2TP Passthrough. I have made sure the external address is pingable. I have upgraded the firmware today to 4.3.4-1.

Any suggestions greatfully welcome!

thanks,

Arron

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arronj,

Welcome to the community! 😄

Kindly check the forum link below:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/FVS336Gv3-L2TP-IPsec-on-Windows-10/td-p/1063257

Hope it helps. 🙂

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
Arronj
Aspirant

Thanks for the response Dane

I would prefer to use the VPN server I already have on my Windows server. 

Having said that, I have already been through this as a test and following that guide I did manage to establish an L2TP connection to the FVS, no traffic went through, and I couldn't ping or connect to anything. 

The setup is: 

[Windows Server]---Lan---[FVS336Gv3]---[FIBRE MODEM]---[WWW]

The Fibre modem and the FVS both have public static IP addresses, and the FVS is in the DMZ of the modem. 

thanks,

Arron

Message 3 of 10
Suli
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Arronj,

Welcome to the community!

You should connect your Windows Server to FVS336Gv3 LAN port ,not DMZ port. FVS336Gv3 only supports access LAN by L2TP from WAN side.

Thanks

Suli

Message 4 of 10
Arronj
Aspirant

Hi Suli

Thanks, but the server is connected via the LAN port. It's the FVS that it is the the modem's DMZ.

Arron
Message 5 of 10
Arronj
Aspirant

Any suggestions anyone??

Thanks,

Arron

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 6 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arronj,

Kindly enable WAN to LAN logging on the firewall.  This will let us see if the L2TP traffic coming from external is hitting the FVS336Gv3 and if it is then forwarding the traffic to the correct LAN IP for the Windows Server. This will help us to see if the problem is before the FVS336Gv3 or after the traffic hits the FVS336Gv3.

Also, kindly setup a simple firewall rule to pass other traffic to the server, like RDP (TCP 3389) just to see if it can pass OK to the server.

Let us know the results.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Arronj,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 8 of 10
paskal
Aspirant

Hello, Posting under this Thread because the correct one you linked here allready is closed as Solved.

But That must be A Joke or something.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/FVS336Gv3-L2TP-IPsec-on-Windows-10/m-p/1063257/thread...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PuVEYxkQ5oMXppNzVnT3lLUEU/view?pli=1&cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Windows 10 withtout IPSec would not work. The Regestrykey has no effect under Windows10.

I tested it my windows 7 VM would connect well but the Win10 VM would never connect.

My first config is a L2TP with IPsec for Iphones. Used a Netgear tutorial for that and works like a charm.

But How to setup Connections with Iphone and Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Means for me I need a Ipsec config for Windows 10 the one i already have for Iphone and a L2TP without IPSec for Windows 7 ?

What is the Problem? I am missing anything?

Best wishes

Message 9 of 10
privacychair
Aspirant

I've had a similar problem with setting up L2TP on Windows 10.  Turns out it was the local Windows firewall that was blocking the traffic, this guide helped me fix it.

https://www.magnumvpn.com/setup-windows-10-firewall-l2tp.html

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements