Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: FVS336Gv3 WAN-LAN Throughput

24mediaAdmin
Guide

FVS336Gv3 WAN-LAN Throughput

Hello,

I'm Netgear Powershift Partner and got a serious problem with the low WAN-LAN throughput of the FVS336Gv3. I expected up to 350Mbit/s as promised in the datasheet. My Internet Connection is Fibre with 150MBit and PPoE. The router is not able to get above 44-45MBit/s. Nearly every setting is off. There is no logging, no filter, just a few portforwardings. Newest Firmware 4.3.5-3 (older ones also doesn't work)

Maybe someone of the professionals can explain, why a nearly 300,- Euro professional Firewall Router is not able to get acceptable download speeds where a 30 euro cheap WNDR3700v4 can reach our 150MBit easily.

I really don't know what to do. How should we explain this behaviour to our customers?! The solution can not always be to buy an SRX5308.

Please, is there anything we can test or do about this silly problem?

Regards, Rudolf

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 7
24mediaAdmin
Guide

Update:

I now contacted Support directly. Recommendation was to connect another router between fiber modem and FVS336Gv3 and create double NAT to test if speed increases. Test was good, we reached 150MBit. But that can't be an acceptable solution for us and our customers. Let's see what happens next...

Message 2 of 7
24mediaAdmin
Guide

...as expected, support told me there will not be any new Firmware Update because FVS336Gv3 is END OF LIFE as all other Netgear Prosafe(VPN) and Prosecure(UTM) Firewalls.

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Betreff: FVS336Gv3 WAN-LAN Throughput

Hi 24mediaAdmin,

I appreciate that you shared here in the community how did your support ticket with NETGEAR Support goes.  Your concern seems to be similar on the forum thread here wherein it was mentioned that the problem is also present on other brand (such as Cisco) and the workaround recommended is to connect another router (or switch) in between the modem and the ProSAFE firewall which is the same workaround recommended to you.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
24mediaAdmin
Guide

Hi DaneA,

thanks for your help. I asked support if they can tell me where the problem is. They told me that they assume the problem in the PPPoE connection. The ISP requires PPPoE Fastpath but the Firewall can't handle it. As far as I know the same is true for all Netgear Prosafe Firewalls. Sadly...

It's unbelievable that those cheep Netgear consumer router dosn't seem to have any problem with it.

It's the same problem as discussed here: VPN-Firewalls/FVS318Gv2-Poor-WAN-to-LAN-throughput

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@24mediaAdmin,

Thanks for sharing.  As far as I know, there is no official announcement yet about having the NETGEAR ProSAFE VPN Firewall product line being EOL (End of Life).  Hopefully, they could release a new firmware that would add Fastpath support for PPPoE WAN in order to address this issue before the NETGEAR ProSAFE VPN Firewall product line goes EOL.  You may want to post your concern as feature request on the Idea Exchange Board for Business here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
24mediaAdmin
Guide

Ok,

I posted a Feature Request here. Let's see if something happens...

Regards

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements