Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS338 port forwarding with incoming port different than port used by application

EvilEgg
Aspirant

FVS338 port forwarding with incoming port different than port used by application

Is it possible to have a different incoming port than the application, and have the router resolve it?

Here is my current setup, we have 2 different servers, both are listening on the port 3389 for Remote Desktop. Since we are in the process of moving users to the newer server, and i rather not change all the client settings twice, i was hoping i could connect to the firewall on port 3390 (I.E. xxx.xx.xx.xxx:3390) and then have the firewall router forward all connections coming in on 3390 to port 3389 on internal ip 192.168.1.xxx.

Is this something the i can do on the FVS338. Is this something i setup in Services, Firewall LAN WAN Rules or ???. Do i have to check Translate to Port? And use port 3389? I have tried it already, and there is a good chance i did something wrong. I don't have a lot of time to do this, the server is always in use, so i thought i would see if anyone has some input on this before i try again.

Do i need to open port 3390 on the new server?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS338 port forwarding with incoming port different than port used by application

Hi Evilegg, 

If that is the case then you'll have to use the "Translate to Port Number" option. After selecting the service name (for port 3390), select the Action, Add the LAN IP of the service and click on the tick box for Translate to Port Number (enter 3389) and the Apply the settings. See image below for reference: 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS338 port forwarding with incoming port different than port used by application

Hi EvilEgg, 

The easiest way is to change the ports of the services, you can manually assign another port number on the server. Instead of using 3389 you can specify a new port number on the server and forward the port number on the router. You can also try to add a new service Security>Services (add port ex. 3390) and go to Security>Firewall Rules>Inbound Service>Add Select the service name of port 3390. 

I hope this helps, let us know if your have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 6
EvilEgg
Aspirant

JohnRo, your example is a normal port foward. I was trying to avoid changing the port on the server, since that usually requires a reboot, and i can only do that on the weekends.

If i can't figure out how to have the router translate from 3390 to 3389 i will end up going your suggested route and switch the rds listening port.

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Evilegg, 

If that is the case then you'll have to use the "Translate to Port Number" option. After selecting the service name (for port 3390), select the Action, Add the LAN IP of the service and click on the tick box for Translate to Port Number (enter 3389) and the Apply the settings. See image below for reference: 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 6
EvilEgg
Aspirant

That worked, strangely that is the same thing i did the first time around.

I just went thru all the settings again. And this time it worked.

Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Service - both incoming and outgoing port are 3390

Incomeing Schedule - setup like regular port forward, but translate the port to whatever port your software is using.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi EvilEgg,

We're glad that you got it working by trying what JohnRo suggested. Kindly tag this thread as resolve by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses that you received.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements