Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failover UDP DHCP relay M4300-52G-PoE+

dt987
Aspirant

Failover UDP DHCP relay M4300-52G-PoE+

Hi All,

I'm currently using UDP DHCP relay on M4300-52G-PoE+ switch to point to a DHCP server in our network per VLAN interfcae, server itself is Windows 2012R2 VM. DHCP works perfectly fine.

Now, let's say I want to add another DHCP server for redundancy. Does anyone know if it is possible to have primary and secondary UDP DHCP relays? It seems I can add another entry for relay with a different DHCP server IP address, but it's not clear how it will prioritize (or load balance) DHCP requests between servers? I guess the goal is to use one DHCP server as primary and another one as a backup in case if primary is not responding.

Both Windows DHCP server will be setup in failover.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Failover UDP DHCP relay M4300-52G-PoE+

@dt987,

Unfortunately, we cannot add another DHCP UDP relay on the VLAN interface.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi dt987,

I don't think that it is recommended to have a failover on DHCP. As the DHCP server doesn't have the capability to detect if it still online or not. This will only cause an IP conflict on your network. It might be better if you will just set the clients that you have to static ip in order to retain the IP addresses. Even if it fails, it still have its own IP.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
dt987
Aspirant

Well, that would be true if DHCP servers are not on Windows 2012R2 in DCHP failover cluster:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn338978(v=ws.11).aspx

DHCP servers will constatnly sync leased IP addresses so there will be no confilct in case of failover.

So the question remains if it's possbile to add two DHCP UDP relay on Netgear VLAN interface 

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@dt987,

Unfortunately, we cannot add another DHCP UDP relay on the VLAN interface.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
dt987
Aspirant

@JohnC_V thanks for clarifying that!

Message 5 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@dt987,

If there still anything else that we can help, feel free to post here on our community! I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements