Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firewall FVS318Gv2 not responding connection to WAN from Verizon FIOS router MI424WR-GEN3I

prakashch
Aspirant

Firewall FVS318Gv2 not responding connection to WAN from Verizon FIOS router MI424WR-GEN3I

Hi,

I am unable to connect the Firewall to the verizon router. The WAN port does not show the LED lit up, nor does the verizon router detect the Firewall device.

If I connect the Firewall WAN to the NETGEAR WNDR3800, it will happily accept the connection.

I also tried to connect the Firewall WAN to Linksys E2500. Here again it would not light up the LED, nor would the linksys router detect the device.

Am I missing something?

I would appreciate your help.

Regards,

Prakash

Model: FVG318v2|ProSafe 802.11g Wireless VPN Firewall 8-ports
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
prakashch
Aspirant

Re: Firewall FVS318Gv2 not responding connection to WAN from Verizon FIOS router MI424WR-GEN3I

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for the explaination.

This is what I had tried after I had replied last.

1. I tried the Factory reset & tried to connect to Verison MI424WR-GEN3I. This would not til up.

2. I again retried Factory reset & connected to the Linksys. I could see one Green & one Amber. The Linksys did not show the new device, nor did the Firewall FVS318Gv2 show any WAN IP.

3. Even without restart I connected the WAN to WNDR 3800. I could immediately see 2-Green LED. The Firewall showed up WAN IP.

I do not understand what is the difference here between these 3 routers.

Thank you,

Prakash

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Firewall FVS318Gv2 not responding connection to WAN from Verizon FIOS router MI424WR-GEN3I

Hi prakashch,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is the FVS318Gv2 working fine before?

b. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on the FVS318Gv2?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 13
prakashch
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

thanks for responding.

a. Is the FVS318Gv2 working fine before?

-Yes

b. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on the FVS318Gv2?

No.

Sure I could take a back up of the current settings and try this. However then, it does work if this is connected to NetGear WNDR3800. I do not have the firewall set with static IP. (set to Get Dynamically from ISP). Any other possible reasons that you can think of?

Thanks once again.

Prakash

Message 3 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@prakashch,

You mentioned that  the WAN LED of the FVS318Gv2 won't even lit up when connected that is why I am suggesting you to kindly perform a factory reset on the FVS318Gv2 then try to reconfigure it from scratch.  Its because the WAN LED should at least lit up orange/amber if it detects that there is no WAN connection.  Otherwise, the WAN LED should lit up green if there is WAN connection detected.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 13
prakashch
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for the explaination.

This is what I had tried after I had replied last.

1. I tried the Factory reset & tried to connect to Verison MI424WR-GEN3I. This would not til up.

2. I again retried Factory reset & connected to the Linksys. I could see one Green & one Amber. The Linksys did not show the new device, nor did the Firewall FVS318Gv2 show any WAN IP.

3. Even without restart I connected the WAN to WNDR 3800. I could immediately see 2-Green LED. The Firewall showed up WAN IP.

I do not understand what is the difference here between these 3 routers.

Thank you,

Prakash

Message 5 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@prakashch,

It seems that the FVS318Gv2 has a hardware fault.  I suggest you to open an online / chat case with NETGEAR Support.  Kindly state your concern and the troubleshooting steps we did to isolate the problem.  Also, attach a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of your FVS318Gv2 for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 13
SamirD
Prodigy

The Verizon FIOS router is a bit of a funny device.  What exactly are you trying to do?  Because it may need more configuration on the FIOS gateway to work.

Message 7 of 13
prakashch
Aspirant

Thank you so much. I appericate your help.

Message 8 of 13
prakashch
Aspirant

Hi SamirD

Earlear this Firewall was configured on my netgear WNDR3800. The WNDR3800 was connected to FIOS. Evey thing was working fine. However to connect to device under the firewall I had to make a VPN connection while connected to WNDR3800. To avoid all this I thought of moving the Firewall to one level up so that I wound not have to connect via VPN while connected to WNDR3800. Also, that way I would be able VPN from outside world.

As you just said, I did find some blogs that described the issues with configuring FVS318Gv2 with FIOS. I then deviced to get something to bridge the FIOS & the FVS318Gv2. So, I got the linksys. I was then trying to configure as follows

FIOS > Linksys > FVS318Gv2 > WNDR3800.

As I described in my previous posts, I was unsucessful in configuring the FVS318Gv2 even with the linksys. Thus, making me wonder if there is some special connection requirement for the firewall.

Thanks

Message 9 of 13
SamirD
Prodigy

It has been a few years since I dealt with the FIOS gateway, but I think I actually ended up setting the fvs in the dmz to get it to work properly.  As far as the wan light, that is a bit of an oddity, but I would check the settings in both the FIOS and fvs and set them manually to the same speed/duplex if need be.  Sometimes autonegotiation still doesn't work.

Message 10 of 13
prakashch
Aspirant

Thank you all for helping me to find solution.

Just so that this may help some one to resolve their issue-

While the exact reason that resolved the problem could not be tracked, the following steps appear to have resolved the problem

1. The LED on the Firewas would not light up because one of the reasons was the cable. Some how the same cable worked for the WNDR3800, but it did not for the firewall. 

2. While working on an attempt to configure, something went wrong in the FIOS. MI424WR-GEN3I. I called up Verison & ended up resetting the router/modem.

3. Finding a post about the FVG318Gv2, I upgraded the Filmware. The post described a bug fix in the new version.

Thank you once again.

Message 11 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@prakashch,

Thanks for sharing 🙂  

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 13
SamirD
Prodigy

Glad you got it working.  Bad cables, while rare, can be a real pain to discover.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements