Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fvs318gv2 connectivity issues

shiekh
Guide

Unfortunately you are right, same old 10 mins to failure; guess we wait for the next firmware version...

Message 101 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Great!  Well, I updated my firmware this afternoon.  But I never pulled out the plug to test.  Well, I guess I don't have to now.

Message 102 of 133
Bitzerj
Guide

I don't see this fixed anytime soon.  The locking issue has existed since I purchased the router ~2yrs ago.  I replaced mine with a  Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite and it has been rock solid (it is also faster).  Best part is that it is cheap on Amazon.  I hope NetGear gets it's act together and fixes their router, it is a nice piece of gear, but is way too flaky for me to keep on-line.

Message 103 of 133
shiekh
Guide

I am given hope by the message of 1 week ago

Hi Everyone,

We apologize for this inconvenience. As of now, there are a small number of customers that have contacted the technical support regarding similar issues and are working with our support team and engineering teams to diagnose and resolve the issue. Hopefully, this issue will be fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks,
JohnRo
NETGEAR® Community Team

Message 104 of 133
shiekh
Guide

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/21/mirai-botnet-hacked-cameras-routers-internet-outage/

makes me continue to feel the need for a firewall... pity it only works for 10 mins 😉

Message 105 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

shiekh, you can't do a GUI reboot?  LIke I said, the last time I did a GUI reboot was Oct 9, 2016.  I never had any issues after that.  Of course I never pull the AC plug out.  I did an update yesterday afternoon, it is now over 24 hours.  Again no issues.   But again, I never pull my AC plug out to test.  My Router is stable now, and I don't wanted to f@#k around with it.

The DMZ is still screwed..   But I don't really need it.

Message 106 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Yes I can, but I need it to recover gracefully from a power cut (when I am not around).

My trusty ZyXEL VFG6005N has no such issues.

Message 107 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Well, I spoke too soon.  I lost my internet this morning.  I just did a GUI reboot.

Message 108 of 133
shiekh
Guide

At one point even I had it running for 1 month, but by a different method: start it up with little connected (just the WAN as I recall), give it lots of time (20 mins maybe) before plugging the rest in.

Message 109 of 133
rickgode
Aspirant

This has turned into such an interesting thread.

Hurray!  At 7:30AM on October 29th, my power went out for about 20 seconds... I didn't have to go into work today, so I went back to sleep.  Got up around 8:30 and (almost) EVERYTHING CAME BACK UP WITH ZERO INTERVENTION!!!

I have Charter Internet, Phone, TV.  The TV worked, the internet worked, but the phone didn't... I have NEVER had to unplug/replug in the phone thing to get it to work (I've had it for years), but I guess I needed to this time?

I'm still on 4.3.4-1 and don't plan on updating any time soon as this one seems to work for me.  I hope everyone else gets theirs figured out.

Ricky

Message 110 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Well, give it 24 hours.  My VPN Router after a power down, it didn't lose the internet in 10 minutes.  It lose it somewhere from 5 hours to 28 hours.  Give it 2 days, before you celebrate.  I updated my firmware last week on the 22nd.  My Router only stay up for about 26 hours before my internet went dead on the 23rd.  Did a GUI reboot.  It is good so far, so that already 6 days.   

Message 111 of 133
rickgode
Aspirant

Come on, don't be that guy!  Smiley Very Happy

So far it's been over 24 hours and everything is great!

I'll celebrate tomorrow by giving away candy to random people who come to the house Smiley Wink

But so far so good.

Ricky

Message 112 of 133
rickgode
Aspirant

Well... After 28 hours my internet light went out at 11:30 on October 30th...

But... My router wasn't locked up like in the past. I was able to login to the GUI and reboot.

So thanks for the heads up cclo...  I'll wait 48 hours before I celebrate.

Ricky

Message 113 of 133
Ballcocks
Aspirant

Have you had any updates on this? I have updated to the fvs316v2 from the older v1 device. It has crashed 3 nights in a row. Yesterday i down graded the firmware from 4.3.4-2 to the previous version. It crashed overnight again. 

Before sending it back is there anything that can be done? 

Message 114 of 133
shiekh
Guide

@JohnRo wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

We apologize for this inconvenience. As of now, there are a small number of customers that have contacted the technical support regarding similar issues and are working with our support team and engineering teams to diagnose and resolve the issue. Hopefully, this issue will be fixed as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

It has been about 6 weeks now; any news about a fix?

Message 115 of 133
rickgode
Aspirant

Ugh... Mine has been up since October 30th (I did have to reboot via GUI)  I'm still on 4.3.4-1.  When the power went out, everything came back up like it was supposed to.  Interesting what cclo said about losing his internet between 5-28 hours.  Mine would always go out within 10 minutes.  

But everything has worked fine.  I even had Charter come out and run another line from my house to the pedestal as something was wonky on their end and as soon as the cable modem came back, so did the internet light on my router, so I'm pumped about that.  

I still need the power to go out a few more times with me rebooting via the GUI to see if everything is how it should be.  I'm fine with rebooting from the GUI as long as it works, but in the not too distant past nothing short of luck seemed to make the connection stay.  I'd like for it to work without having to reboot from the GUI, but the netgear guys said that is known to "fix" stuff, and if it works I'll run with it.

Ricky

Message 116 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Rebooting by the GUI is a NOT an option for me as it is still being used when I am not around, so I need it to be able to come up by itself after a power glitch.

Message 117 of 133
rickgode
Aspirant

I understand completely.  That's why I was so pumped when it came on by itself after the first power outage last month, but then the 2nd power outage it came back by itself, then the internet light went out 20 hours or so later (the next day)  But I was here when the kids said, "IT'S NOT WORKING!" and sure enough, the internet light was out.

BUT... Here is where it was different than before, I didn't have to unplug/replug it back in.  I just went into the GUI and rebooted.  It has NEVER done that for me before.

Ricky

Message 118 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Kids I can handle; it's when the Wife needs the internet... that's when things get crazy 😉

My Wife works remotely over the internet, so things need to simply work.

Message 119 of 133
shiekh
Guide

I fear that if Netgear feel we are happy with a GUI reboot, they will stop working on a complete fix.

I also try to keep this thread simmering, in the hope that Netgear will respond by offering a firmware fix.

Message 120 of 133
Bitzerj
Guide

I gave up waiting....not sure Netgear will ever fix the issue.  You can see my solution earlier up in the replies.  My new solution is rock solid, secure, and just works.  I work from home 90% of the time and the wife and kids are on the Internet all the time.  I need something that just works and doesn't need manual intervention.

I really wish Netgear would get it together and either offer a replacement or fix the existing HW.  There is an issue here and it has been there through many revisions of Firmware.

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 121 of 133
shiekh
Guide

But is the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite a firewall? and it only seems to have 3 ports

In truth I took a simillar route as you and run a ZyXEL VFG6005N firewall (Gigabit 4 port) as I wait for netgear (it was $20 new at one point).

Message 122 of 133
Bitzerj
Guide

Yes...it is also a firewall.  

One port is for my guest network, one for the WAN, and one to my main switch.

It also does deep packet analysis...and has the HW to handle High Speed Internet links (1 Gig)

Using the setup wizard automatically sets up the firewall with the between the WAN and LAN.  I also setup a firewall between the Guest and Home network.  My house guests have an easy access password and they cannot see anything on the main net.

Again, I'm not trying to bash Netgear...I really liked their unit when it worked.

Message 123 of 133
shiekh
Guide

I have 4 different Netgear firewalls, so need to stop buying units of any kind;

but still I wonder about the damage done to Netgear's reputation at this point.

No sense in being anything but optimistic at this point, and hope for a firmware

that fixes the cold boot issue.

Message 124 of 133
CTA007
Aspirant

Same problem here with the last firmware 4.3.4-2

After 10-15 min, nothing works anymore only the ping is ok.

I have to remove the power and restart it. No way for me to reboot using GUI.

Need solution

Message 125 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 132 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements