Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Green IT trying to setup vpn on a SRXN3205

BpITSolutions
Aspirant

Green IT trying to setup vpn on a SRXN3205

As the title of the thread suggests. Our Network Engineer was let go a week ago for reasons I won't get into. I'm a senior repair tech that has been thrust into filling his position.

The owner recently bought an SRXN3205 and it was easy to install and setup. We are assigned a static IP from our ISP. I'll call it 20.90.100.60 for simplicity. The gateway is the same except ending in ...1 (obviously) and the netmask is 255.255.255.128. I have set our static IP in the WAN settings of our SRXN3205 and internal internet access is working fine.

The problem is the owner has asked me to set up a VPN via the SRXN3205 so our web and graphic designer can access the servers from home.

I have read the manual tried to follow the SRXN3205 manual on page 6-4 to page 6-11 to setup the VPN but I'm completely at a loss on how to successfully set up this VPN. This is my first hands-on experience with VPNs.

What should I be using for a Remote Identifier and Local Identifier during the VPN Wizard?

We are only using the 'lite' VPN client that came on the CD with the SRXN3205 on the web/graphic designer's laptop. What do I need to do to set this up correctly for the VPN?

Message 1 of 12
BpITSolutions
Aspirant

Re: Green IT trying to setup vpn on a SRXN3205

I forgot to add, our internal network IP is 10.0.1.0 with a submask of 255.255.255.0.
Message 2 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

see my site for case study.. fvx case study will work. or fvs336g for VPN client setup
Message 3 of 12
BpITSolutions
Aspirant

I appreciate the reply but your site requires a username and password to access the suggested 'case study'. I understand it is to control bandwidth costs but this would be the fifth email and registration I would have to go through today to solve what appears to be a simple configuration problem.

No offence intended but I also am leery about needing to give out my work or personal e-mail address to websites.
Message 4 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I have plenty people email and will never used for any but your decision so good luck

It will let you going in few minutes but keep read thread instead
Message 5 of 12
BpITSolutions
Aspirant

Well, it is trust you or (possibly) lose my job so...I'm left to trust you. Email sent.
Message 6 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Give some other side of view
What makes me if I reply to you and you will abuse my email

I get spam more and more... Think that... I trust when they send email to me but I have no idea who you are. 🙂

2cents.. You will email in min
Message 7 of 12
BpITSolutions
Aspirant

That is true. Thank you for your reply. This could save my job.
Message 8 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you have an issue still you can email me directy 🙂
Message 9 of 12
BpITSolutions
Aspirant

I appreciate the suggestion. I looked over the casestudy120 document but the firmware on the SRXN3205 is so different I am having a hard time trying to follow the guide to setup our VPN.

Also, we do not have a FQDN for the company. Our internal domain is just domain.local

Externally, we just have a statically assigned IP address, so I'm confused as to how to configure the VPN with this information.
Message 10 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Copy the setting fqdn is part of ID.

Harder you look at you will loose it. Fvx538 has same Ike/VPN policy

If you are using VPN client them fvs336g will just fine

Email me directly with screenshot with what you have done so far
Message 11 of 12
adit
Mentor

Don't worry about what the FQDN is. In most cases you don't want it routable. That is why most of the tutorials have underscores in the FQDN. Follow what is in the tutorials, only changing the PSK and your local IP subnet. I have a FVX538 tutorial that will work in my sig. Should be similar to jmiz's.
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements