Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardware for creating two independant but Linked Networks using VPN

jaydeetech
Aspirant

Hardware for creating two independant but Linked Networks using VPN

Hi, I have been tasked with setting up a new network system,no equipement has yet been bought but a sensible budget exists.

I'm an electroncis engineer, not a network engineer 🙂 So I would appreciate your thoughts on a simple and rubust solution.

Imagine two mobile offices built inside trucks, these offices should be capable of being compleatly independant but will also sometimes be linked together using a point-to-point wireless link. (this link could potentiqally be broken at any time)

Given that each network will have its own router assigning IP etc... should we connect the networks together using some form of LAN-to-LAN VPN.

In addition, each office will be both given access to two other external networks, suppling engineering data. Given the issues of connecting various network data sources together and not having conficts with IP assignment etc, what would be a robust solution to try?

Regards, John

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Hardware for creating two independant but Linked Networks using VPN

Hi @jaydeetech,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

I'm afraid to inform you that NETGEAR already discontinued the ProSAFE VPN Firewall product line.  Kindly check the announcement on this link.

About your concern, here are my suggestions to have a working site-to-site IPSec VPN setup:

a. Each of the two mobile offices built inside trucks should have their own subscription of internet connection from an internet service provider (ISP).  

b. The firewall/router that is capable of site-to-site IPSec VPN should be set as the main router on each mobile office so that the Public WAN IP address is registered to the main router.  Avoid having a Double NAT scenario. 

c. The LAN IP range of the main router of deployed in each mobile office should be different from each other.  For example: mobile office #1 has a LAN IP network address of 192.168.9.0 while mobile office #2 has a LAN IP network address of 192.168.18.0 (or 10.10.10.0).

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
jaydeetech
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA,

I'll have a look at that option but I suspect once we are on-site our internet connection will be quite poor. Thus the intended use of a point-to-point link.

But we may be able to use a 4G connection for internet instead. 

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jaydeetech,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise,  if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements