Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How is requiring that Insight-connected devices be updated from the cloud reliable? 🤔😕

jdrch
Apprentice

How is requiring that Insight-connected devices be updated from the cloud reliable? 🤔😕

Considering buying a BR500 and came across this thread in which the user attempted to upgrade that model using the Insight app. Updating network device firmware from devices that aren't on the same LAN has always been a bad idea from my experience, so I thought OP just hadn't followed instructions.

That is, until I checked the official update instructions. Per them:

"If the BR500 is connected to the Insight cloud, schedule or perform an update using the Insight app or through the web portal."

Ummm ... what? I'm not troubled by the fact that this method exists, I'm troubled that is it's the ONLY recommended update method for Insight devices. It means Netgear thinks that a device can update itself, reboot, and reconnect to the cloud so reliably it'll never be an issue. Anyone who's had experience with networking equipment knows you often can't get devices to see each other on the same LAN after an update, much less connect to a cloud. What happens if the internet connection fails during the process?

This strikes me as the fastest way to brick your device, yet somehow it's the only recommended option ... that ... can't be good. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements