Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How long after you set up Dynamic DNS does the custom host name propagate for OpenVPN?

jdrch
Apprentice

How long after you set up Dynamic DNS does the custom host name propagate for OpenVPN?

Just wondering the above. I followed the documentation to set up OpenVPN on my BR500 and am trying to connect to it from a Galaxy Note9 on Verizon using the OpenVPN client within the space of an hour. The OpenVPN client is stuck on the Connection Request dialog while the status in the background says Disconnected. Won't even allow me to tap OK.

I'm wondering if this is happening because the host name hasn't propagated to Verizon or Cloudflare (private DNS I use) yet.

Any ideas?

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
jdrch
Apprentice

Re: How long after you set up Dynamic DNS does the custom host name propagate for OpenVPN?

a. The latest one from the Play Store, 3.0.5

b. I have a Wi-Fi-only Samsung Galaxy S5 that runs Lineage OS 16.0 (Android Pie.) I turned off Wi-Fi on my Note9 and then activated the mobile hotspot feature. I then connected the S5 to the Note9's hotspot, and was able to connect to OpenVPN that way. Seems like the problem may lie with the Note9

c. 5.6.0.1

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
jdrch
Apprentice

Welp, I pinged the custom host name and it worked, so clearly something is horribly wrong with how the BR500 handles OpenVPN.

Message 2 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jdrch,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the OpenVPN version you are using on your Galaxy Note9 ? 

b. If ever you have another Android device or iOS device, does same problem occur? 

c. What is the current firmware version of your BR500? 

Kindly post screenshots of the error messages you have encountered.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 11
jdrch
Apprentice

a. The latest one from the Play Store, 3.0.5

b. I have a Wi-Fi-only Samsung Galaxy S5 that runs Lineage OS 16.0 (Android Pie.) I turned off Wi-Fi on my Note9 and then activated the mobile hotspot feature. I then connected the S5 to the Note9's hotspot, and was able to connect to OpenVPN that way. Seems like the problem may lie with the Note9

c. 5.6.0.1

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 11
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

Are you able to setup the OpenVPN client on computer setup such as Windows or OSX and see if you are able to connect successfully? 

Message 5 of 11
jdrch
Apprentice

I'm planning on trying that later. Right now I'm more focused on getting it working on my Note9 since that's the only device I typically have on me when I'm out of the house. I'll try it on PC and get back to you about that later. Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
jdrch
Apprentice

Here's the solution to the Note9 OpenVPN issue.

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Without rooting? 8-))))) Of course, OpenVPN does not require root access.

Just curious .... which [Ok] button has to be triggered on your Note 9 by using a Bluetooth keyboard (for example)? 

Message 8 of 11
jdrch
Apprentice

@schumaku wrote:

Without rooting? 8-))))) Of course, OpenVPN does not require root access.

Just curious .... which [Ok] button has to be triggered on your Note 9 by using a Bluetooth keyboard (for example)? 

The one in the screenshot at the solution link. Scroll to top of that thread and you'll see the details.

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Oh bugger ... sorry, the in-line image hasn't loaded before on the VZ site. So the question remains why the Note 9 does not allow to click the OK. I have to use wally brain ... we had a similar thing before here on a Netgear App. But that was a similar privilege request only coming up on some rooted devices, and your Note 9 isn't. Ignore, ... I'm just happy you resolved it!

Message 10 of 11
jdrch
Apprentice

@MrJoshW wrote:

Hello,

Are you able to setup the OpenVPN client on computer setup such as Windows or OSX and see if you are able to connect successfully? 

Got it working on Windows 10 this morning.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements