Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPSEC VPN ACCESING THROUGH COMPUTER NAME

LAK1
Aspirant

IPSEC VPN ACCESING THROUGH COMPUTER NAME

Hello, 

I´ve configured a IPSEC VPN with UTM 50 and netgear ProSafe VPN Client.

The VPN is ok and I can acces to all computers by using the IP Address but there are 2 server that I need access to them throught to their names. 

I´ve enabled netbios option but I can´t acces to these servers.

Any idea?

Regards

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi LAK1,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It is possible to use the host name if you do have an active directory on your remote site. The Active Directory will be the one that will resolve the host name from LAN as host name resolution is not supported over VPN.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
Augello
Tutor

If you can PING a machine using it's IP address but not it's Netbios name then DNS needs to be updated with the machine name and IP; and possably on the remote client pc too. Edit the HOSTS file on the remote PC. If using Windows 10 that can be challenging. HOSTS is in etc\ something or other and it's a plain TEXT file. Open it with Windows Notepad.exe and add a line machine = 192.168.1.40 If your trying to browse a server at 10.1.10.5 from a client PC on 192.168.1.4 you can open Explorer.exe File Manager and in the address bar of the 192168.1.4 machine type \\10.2.10.5\ You should see all shares on that remote machine or get a Login Password prompt first. Nothings for certain; almost. google it...
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements