Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is adding ANY Inbound block for LAN WAN overkill when manual says all inbound blocked by default?

50pizza50
Follower

Is adding ANY Inbound block for LAN WAN overkill when manual says all inbound blocked by default?

The manual of the FVS336 says that all inbound traffic over LAN WAN is blocked by default. It mentions adding specific allow rules if desired.

So is it overkill, or will there be problems caused by the redunancy, if I add a specific rule to say block ANY traffic as well? Basically writing another block all rule to the inbound, which the manual claims is already all blocked.

I'm just wondering if there are known bugs or best practices as far as writing redunant firewall rules go. Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is adding ANY Inbound block for LAN WAN overkill when manual says all inbound blocked by defa...

@50pizza50,

The manual of the FVS336 says that all inbound traffic over LAN WAN is blocked by default. It mentions adding specific allow rules if desired.

There are two default LAN WAN Rules:

1. Inbound - Block all access from the Internet (the WAN) except responses to requests from the LAN.

2. Outbound - Allow all access from the LAN to the Internet.

As reference, kindly read page 212 of the FVS336Gv3 reference manual here

So is it overkill, or will there be problems caused by the redunancy, if I add a specific rule to say block ANY traffic as well? Basically writing another block all rule to the inbound, which the manual claims is already all blocked.

Any inbound traffic that is not blocked by rules you create is allowed by the default rule.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements